Stainess steel or silicone roller for LCHF pastry.

CookingPossum

Local time
9:06 AM
LCHF = Low Carb High Fat
At present I use two silicone sheets to roll out 'pastry' which works but not perfectly.
I have to lift top sheet to check thickness which does tend to pull up the dough.
So it's roll. Pull up. Roll......

If I could use a truly non stick roller it would help immensely(?).

But which is best, stainless or silicone?

I'm answering your question indirectly - I use two sheets of clingfilm to roll out pastry and a standard wooden rolling pin. Put cling film on counter top, add dough and then another sheet on top. It seems to work really well - no sticking and you can see what you are doing as you go.

You wrote 'pastry' in inverted commas. What sort of pastry are you using?

I've been using my wooden cutting board, floured, for rolling out pastry. And since I don't do it very often, I use an old wine bottle (glass) as my rolling pin. Never tried the cling wrap method. There's a minor bit of stickage, but not enough to stop me.

Just guessing with high fat low carb, that cling wrap might be a good idea.

I haven't tried cling film. Neat idea. I will have to try.

I say 'pastry' because it's not the normal pastry. Normal pastry uses wheat, etc., flour.
LCHF pastry cannot use these but substitutes almond or nut flours which tend to be more sticky often with egg as a binder.
Maybe added gluten or protein will help but that's a whole new topic :hungry:

Hmm. I'll try the cling film next time I make sausage rolls.
What I found frustrating is that with 'normal' pastry I could roll out on a silicone sheet then place the cooked (almost) sausages along one edge and roll the pastry over them.
With LCHF pastry I've never been able to achieve this easily. Maybe the cling film will help.

What I found frustrating is that with 'normal' pastry I could roll out on a silicone sheet then place the cooked (almost) sausages along one edge and roll the pastry over them.
With LCHF pastry I've never been able to achieve this easily. Maybe the cling film will help.

I hope so - but gluten free pastry is notoriously tricky. Good luck!

Mine looks like this. :wink:

I just made some, see cooking in January,

Russ

I have a large cooking bench top, I only use flour then pastry then more dusting of flour, roll out with wooden roller. Then I move to chopping board for cutting.no drama with thickness as I feel as I go.

Russ

I'm answering your question indirectly - I use two sheets of clingfilm to roll out pastry and a standard wooden rolling pin. Put cling film on counter top, add dough and then another sheet on top. It seems to work really well - no sticking and you can see what you are doing as you go.

You wrote 'pastry' in inverted commas. What sort of pastry are you using?
I only use cling film when making scotch eggs. Stops meat sticking to bench top, no clean up, just throw cling film out after rolling eggs.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom