Stanley Tucci: Searching For Italy

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:02 PM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
The first episode of Stanley Tucci: Searching For Italy debuted tonight. The show is all about Tucci taking a food tour of Italy’s regions. If I understand correctly, he will visit every region, taking us inside the kitchens where the food is made, and to the fields and farms where the ingredients are harvested.

The first episode was about Campania, the region where Napoli is located. We get to see where the real San Marzano tomatoes are grown, and where buffalo milk is turned into mozzarella. Then, they make a pizza from them. Truly magical to see.

I have only visited Rome and Como (though I did drive through the countryside from Zurich). Now, I already want to visit Napoli, and I’m sure I will add other destinations with each episode.

Notably, some episodes were recorded last Fall, so we get to see the effects of the pandemic. And, we still get to see amazing food.

The first episode of Stanley Tucci: Searching For Italy debuted tonight. The show is all about Tucci taking a food tour of Italy’s regions. If I understand correctly, he will visit every region, taking us inside the kitchens where the food is made, and to the fields and farms where the ingredients are harvested.

The first episode was about Campania, the region where Napoli is located. We get to see where the real San Marzano tomatoes are grown, and where buffalo milk is turned into mozzarella. Then, they make a pizza from them. Truly magical to see.

I have only visited Rome and Como (though I did drive through the countryside from Zurich). Now, I already want to visit Napoli, and I’m sure I will add other destinations with each episode.

Notably, some episodes were recorded last Fall, so we get to see the effects of the pandemic. And, we still get to see amazing food.

I like Stanley Tucci and I’d love to watch his TV programme. However I’m not sure they will broadcasting it - maybe on Paramount Channel or YouTube

That sounds like just the kind of thing we'd like to watch. Our planned tour of Italy didn't happen last year (for obvious reasons!) but we're still intending doing it when we can, so I'm always on the lookout for ideas :okay:

Sadly it doesn't seem to be available here either :( I'll have to have a look online or on Samsung TV later....maybe I'll be able to find it.

I love watching cooking shows and anything about how things are made or where they originated. This sounds like a fantastic show. I'll see if I can get it here.

I gave it a go, and will watch the rest. I liked his casual style and delve into the pizza topic, without it being over the top.

There will never be another Anthony Bourdain, but I can see in production where this is a bit in the same vein without being blatant about it.

I'd love to get my hands on some of those San Marzano's to see how they compare to the #10 cans I've used for years.

I've just watched some of his videos on Instagram and thank God he made the Marinara exactly as it should be made - except for the onion which no Stanley, is not an option :laugh:.
I also love that he mentioned that Marinara is not derived from sea but from sailors. I know they are little things but I'm glad they are told well.
I'm going to love him!

AA37D9C8-CB4C-42EF-9010-5507386A55BB.jpeg

I’ve fallen behind in watching this show. This is martozzi, from episode 2; episode 4 aired tonight. It’s a sweet bread flavored with pine nuts, raisins, and candied orange peel, and filled with a whipped cream. Historically, it was the only sweet allowed by the Catholic Church during Lent, so it was traditionally only prepared during Lent. I really wish I had known about this when I visited Italy the last 2 times. Something to add to my list for my 3rd visit, whenever that might be.

View attachment 59185

I’ve fallen behind in watching this show. This is martozzi, from episode 2; episode 4 aired tonight. It’s a sweet bread flavored with pine nuts, raisins, and candied orange peel, and filled with a whipped cream. Historically, it was the only sweet allowed by the Catholic Church during Lent, so it was traditionally only prepared during Lent. I really wish I had known about this when I visited Italy the last 2 times. Something to add to my list for my 3rd visit, whenever that might be.

I suppose he was in Roma this time. Maritozzo or better known as “Er Maritozzo con la panna” it’s a staple in Roma and in Lazio too. It’s fantastic, although there are no more pine nuts or raisins, only grated orange zest in the dough. And a mountain of whipped cream :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom