Star Fruit

CrystalSPF

Veteran
Local time
7:46 AM
Website
www.simplyplyfulfare.com
I love star fruit, both for the actual taste and the novelty of being able to eat something that's shaped like a star.
I hardly ever see it in the grocery store. Does anyone know when it's in season? It can be kind of expensive. What's the best time to buy star fruit?

Interesting questions... I wish I could help but to be honest it's been years since I even saw a star fruit in a grocery store. I've never tasted one either, but I do enjoy the shape and I also have some memories of it being way too expensive for regular use. :D

Yes, it is a once-in-a-while treat. It tastes kind of like a cross between an apple and a pear. It's crisp like an apple, but not very tart. It has a smooth texture, so it's not grainy like pears tend to be. Very interesting. :)

I've never tried this, nor have I seen it as the grocery store where I live. I have heard it's really great... It would be amazing to put into a pie!

I'm going to have to be on the lookout for a Star Fruit.

Yes, it is a once-in-a-while treat. It tastes kind of like a cross between an apple and a pear. It's crisp like an apple, but not very tart. It has a smooth texture, so it's not grainy like pears tend to be. Very interesting. :)

Okay now I'm sold. I need to find me a starfruit so I can taste it!

"The carambola tree flowers throughout the year, with main fruiting seasons from April to June and October to December in Malaysia, for example, but fruiting also occurs at other times in some other locales, such as South Florida." Seems like soon might be a good season to try and find them.

Okay now I'm sold. I need to find me a starfruit so I can taste it!

"The carambola tree flowers throughout the year, with main fruiting seasons from April to June and October to December in Malaysia, for example, but fruiting also occurs at other times in some other locales, such as South Florida." Seems like soon might be a good season to try and find them.
Awesome! Thanks! :)

Okay well I looked really carefully and surprise surprise, they do have them in the local supermarket. Obviously got one. Not that expensive after all, I think I paid around 0.80 euros for it.

The taste was kind of a disappointment though. I liked the fact that it was just the right level of juicy and kind of crisp, but the taste is EXACTLY like that of peapods. I mean... EXACTLY the same. Edible but definitely not one of my favourites.

I think a starfruit is a form of apple. I have eaten them, but I didn't think that they were anything all that spectacular. A slice or two of starfruit makes a great garnish for a dish, but it isn't something to chow down on. The grocery stores around here carry them and they are not all that expensive, but they keep a very limited supply on hand.

Kids will eat them because of their shape if you place a few slices on their plate. It is a novelty for them but it does get them eating fruit.

It's a good point about giving them to kids. I bought it because it looks funny and I'm an adult, I think kids would be thrilled! :D

Back
Top Bottom