Steaks: Marinade or Not?

I like to try different things too, but especially ones that use ingredients that I already have laying around. I bought the rum to drink with some birthday cigars nearly two years ago, but I hardly ever drink at home so it's been sitting sadly on the shelf ever since then!

Now that I've realized I can cook with it, I need to find something else to try. Maybe a dessert :)

Steaks taste good if marinated for a couple of hours or overnight in the refrigerator with the right kind and amount of ingredients and we had proven it many times in our cooking style at home. For this reason we always enjoy our meal with a marinated steak.

I never marinate steaks. I tend to just season them with a little salt and black pepper, then bash it with a steak hammer and let the steaks rest for around half an hour to come up to room temperature before cooking. It seems a shame to mask the flavours of a good steak with a marinade, and I can't think that any marinade would be an improvement on the natural flavour of the meat.

I have never marinated a steak and I never will as steak is a meat best served on its own. A properly cooked steak (which is rare in my opinion) is succulent, juicy and delicious and marinating it before cooking doesn't add anything at all. In fact, I think that marinating a steak before grilling it actually ruins it as all you can taste is the marinade. I have to confess that I don't even season my steak before grilling either.

Despite the above there are times when I fancy a bit of sauce with my steak and on these occasions I will have a sauce in a side dish to dip in to at will. I never smother my steak with sauce as, once again, I think it ruins it. With a side dish of sauce I can have some pieces of steak dipped in sauce and I can have some pieces of steak left totally alone.

Definitely marinade...no two ways about it. I like to let mine sit in a homemade marinade for at the very least an hour. Most times I will let it soak overnight if I'm having guests over.

I usually don't marinade my streaks, I only using herbs and spices with a touch of vinegar so that the seasoning sticks to the meat.

I usually just put salt and pepper on mine if it's a big cut of steak. I do still use marinade when I'm grilling skewered meats, but that's about it. I also prefer just using salt and pepper because marinades usually contain sugar and that just causes a whole lot of mess I'd have to clean up after I grill.

Back
Top Bottom