Steam or grill , what do you use for outdoor cooking?

CoffeeTalk

Veteran
Local time
9:41 PM
If you like to steam your food or you prefer to grill it what do you use ?

I like to steam my veggies with the fish and chicken and use tinfoil, is easy and less messy.
But lately I have found the use of the new Tupperware UltaPro series as a perfect tool on the grill. I use foil under and around it , and it is perfect, especially the soft lid that keeps everything sealed up inside on the way to the grill.
You have to watch the temperature though and for flames if using coal, but they do tolerate high temperatures. It will probably not last so log, but I find them easier to use than glasswear , although you cannot see inside them while cooking as you can with the glass.

I think it depends on what I'm cooking. If it's a veggie that's hardy and won't fall apart or get mushy too easily, I just throw it on the grill directly (I love that charred line and taste in the veggies; yum!), but if it's something that'll need a long time and high heat to cook (like potatoes or something) I definitely wrap it up in tin foil.

Same with meat; if it's something hardy like beef, chicken, hot dogs, etc I just put it on the grill. But if it's something like salmon I definitely season it and then wrap it up in tin foil to keep in the juices (and to keep it from falling apart on the grill).

I've never tried the tupperware ultrapro that you said though. In fact I've never even seen it in my area!

It is grilling all the way for me. I love the taste of just about anything hot off the grill. Veggies are really good when they are grilled because they get the crunchy char marks. steaming is ok, but you have to season your food well or it will come out bland tasting.

For me when cooking outdoors, everything has be grilled. The only time I use a foil while grilling is wrapping potatoes with them and letting it bake on top of the coal.

I do not steam my foods while camping. I use a steamer only in the kitchen. When I go out camping, I prefer using the grill. It is because I use electricity while steaming food which is not required while using the grill. I carry some charcoal to use on the grill.

My portable Cobb BBQ has a well around the heat source to which you put some liquid and wrap veg or pots in foil and place it in there,and cook on the top ,the top even has a cover to co a larger piece of meat

It's always the grill for us. Our favorite camping place is called Nature's Discovery Camp. The terrain is mountainous with few trees and a small prairie like area. That's where the barbecue pit is located. We never fail to grill pork or chicken when we go there. The last time we were there last month, we barbecued pork and fish. It was lots of fun that night.

Back
Top Bottom