Recipe Stewed guava

Local time
12:37 PM
This is guava season here. Guava is one of my favourite fruits and I like any derivative of guava - guava juice, guava cheese, guava jelly and stewed guava. Stewed guava is a favourite of mine which I used to see quite a lot of years ago. I have not had it in a long time though. I am not sure if it is sold in our supermarkets. I will check the next time I go.

Method:

Fruit should be firm and just under ripe.
Peel and half the guavas.
Remove the centre pulp with seeds.
Cut the guavas into bite-size pieces.
Boil the guavas until cooked.
Use 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar to 1 lb of fruit. Acid fruit will need more sugar.
Allow the sugar to boil in the water for about 5 minutes.
Add the fruit and continue simmering.until it is soft.
A stick of cinnamon or grated nutmeg may be added during cooking.

upload_2015-11-17_7-12-51.jpeg

I have never had this. I like my guava as is. I don't even care for the jellies and jam. You said it was guava season here? I'd sure like to get my hands on some sweet ones. I've had a few bad tasting ones in my time.

Stewed guava, when eaten along with ice cream, can make a very good dessert too. Some people also soak them in syrup and store them in a jar. This is the way I remember eating them most, from a jar. I have not had any guavas for the season yet. My sister would sometimes bring some for me, which she gets from someone else.

I have had guava from time to time but usually in some sort of fruit salad, or in juice. stewed guava is a new one on me, but I bet it is very good. I am certain it is healthy, nutritious and high in vitamin C as well.

This reminds me of the guava jelly that my grandmother used to make. Don't take this post of mine as a recipe for I cannot guarantee the accuracy. From what I remember, the guavas are sliced and the seeds removed, just like in the photo above. A piece of 2 of panutsa is boiled in some water to make the syrup. Panutsa is a candied molasses that is cheap, quite coarse but sweet enough for cooking. When the mixture has boiled for sometime, that's when the guava is added and boiled again until the guava become soft and looks like jelly.

I was intrigued about guava cheese, I have not heard of that before. Should I be trying this guava stew, I will add more syrup to it. I know how guava tastes like and I honestly do not love the acidic taste in my mouth so what better way to mask that than a load of honey or other sweet fruits

Back
Top Bottom