Stewed Tomatoes

How do you use them? We use a 7-bone chuck roast to make a dish that is basically braised in stewed tomatoes. I use them to make my "Coney Island Sauce, a hotdog braise and a fresh green bean dish. We always have a can or two on hand as a pantry item.

Me too, only the other day I needed 2 tomatoes for making samosas, none here, season finished early growing these. Always 3 or 4 cans in the pantry. So I used it for that. Half a tin left over, sewed on the bench top next day for my fry up. Was very nice. I also use in curries.

Russ

How do you use them? We use a 7-bone chuck roast to make a dish that is basically braised in stewed tomatoes. I use them to make my "Coney Island Sauce, a hotdog braise and a fresh green bean dish. We always have a can or two on hand as a pantry item.

You referring to tinned tomatoes? In the UK they aren't called stewed tomatoes - just tinned whole or chopped tomatoes. Do stewed tomatoes contain other ingredients in the US?

Probably the most used tinned food in our house. Ratatouille, ragout, chilli, tagine, or just on toast for breakfast if we don’t have fresh.

I agree - I use them a lot! But I think the stewed tomatoes referred to in this thread are not simply tomatoes in a can, as we have here. In the US 'stewed tomatoes' are already cooked into as sauce - typically with onions, celery and green peppers. We don't get this in the UK although we do get tinned tomatoes with herbs added as well as simply just tomatoes.

Screen Shot 2019-05-15 at 19.17.11.png

I agree - I use them a lot! But I think the stewed tomatoes referred to in this thread are not simply tomatoes in a can, as we have here. In the US 'stewed tomatoes' are already cooked into as sauce - typically with onions, celery and green peppers. We don't get this in the UK although we do get tinned tomatoes with herbs added as well as simply just tomatoes.

View attachment 27868

Yes, that is what he means.

Our tinned are just tomatoes whole in its own sauce, I heat and call it stewed tomatoes. Other tomatoes are Italian style chopped tomatoes with herbs added. Or Indian style as well. We always have around 3 or 4 tins in the pantry.

Russ

Our tinned are just tomatoes whole in its own sauce, I heat and call it stewed tomatoes. Other tomatoes are Italian style chopped tomatoes with herbs added. Or Indian style as well. We always have around 3 or 4 tins in the pantry.

More or less the same as here except we don't have Indian style.

Back
Top Bottom