Recipe Stir Fried Morning Glory

classic33

Legendary Member
Local time
1:10 AM
Stir Fried Morning Glory.jpg

This simple yet delicious stir fried vegetable side dish made with Pak Boong (ผักบุ้ง; Water Morning Glory; Water Spinach) is one of Thailand's most popular foods. We think it should be on every first-time visitor's "must eat" list, as it is difficult to find at restaurants in the west. Seasoned with soy bean paste, garlic, chilies, soy sauce, and oyster sauce, the salty-spicy-sour-and-crunchiness of Pad Pak Boong Fai Daeng is great as a side dish or all by itself.

Ingredients:
1 Bunch Water morning glory Cut into 4 - 6 inch pieces, about 4 cups
4 Thai Hot Chili
3 Garlic Large cloves, peeled
1/2 Tablespoon Yellow Soybean Paste
1/2 Tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
1/2 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil

Method:
  1. Clean the Pak Boong, then cut into 4 inch long pieces, leaving the top section and leaves a little longer.
  2. Using a mortar and pestle, or a garlic press, break up the garlic into small pieces.
  3. Break the chilies open, just enough to let some of the juices come out, leaving the body of the chili intact.Put the
  4. Put the Pak Boong into a bowl, then put all the other ingredients except the oil on top.
  5. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or wok until it's really hot, but not burning. Dump the bowl of ingredients up-side-down into the pan, so that the sauces are on the bottom. Quickly stir it up so it cooks evenly.
  6. It only takes a minute or so to cook, so be careful not to leave it on the heat too long. You'll know it's done when the the larger leaves are getting wilted, but the stalks are still very stiff.
  7. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.

Alternate recipe:
If you can't find water spinach in your area, try this recipe using regular spinach. It looks about the same and taste very similar.

http://www.thaicookbook.tv/thai-recipes/side-dishes/sir-fried-morning-glory-pad-pak-boong-fai-daeng/

Last edited:
Morning-glory-C6295b.jpg
This is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of a morning glory. What do we have here? A gift to Morning Glory? I checked out this Pak Boong and this looks like it can be used for several interesting dishes. Re the method -what's happening at step 4 Classic33? Pak Boong etc?

Morning-glory-C6295b.jpg
This is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of a morning glory. What do we have here? A gift to Morning Glory? I checked out this Pak Boong and this looks like it can be used for several interesting dishes. Re the method -what's happening at step 4 Classic33? Pak Boong etc?
I'd like to say its the system at fault, but it comes down to me, being too keen on the backspace button.
Now corrected

Morning-glory-C6295b.jpg

Yes that's ME! The most beautiful flower ever... I've seen recipes using the water spinach 'morning glory' which is not the same thing at all.

This simple yet delicious stir fried vegetable side dish made with Pak Boong (ผักบุ้ง; Water Morning Glory; Water Spinach) is one of Thailand's most popular foods. We think it should be on every first-time visitor's "must eat" list, as it is difficult to find at restaurants in the west. Seasoned with soy bean paste, garlic, chilies, soy sauce, and oyster sauce, the salty-spicy-sour-and-crunchiness of Pad Pak Boong Fai Daeng is great as a side dish or all by itself.

Ingredients:
1 Bunch Water morning glory Cut into 4 - 6 inch pieces, about 4 cups
4 Thai Hot Chili
3 Garlic Large cloves, peeled
1/2 Tablespoon Yellow Soybean Paste
1/2 Tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
1/2 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil

Method:
  1. Clean the Pak Boong, then cut into 4 inch long pieces, leaving the top section and leaves a little longer.
  2. Using a mortar and pestle, or a garlic press, break up the garlic into small pieces.
  3. Break the chilies open, just enough to let some of the juices come out, leaving the body of the chili intact.Put the
  4. Put the Pak Boong into a bowl, then put all the other ingredients except the oil on top.
  5. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or wok until it's really hot, but not burning. Dump the bowl of ingredients up-side-down into the pan, so that the sauces are on the bottom. Quickly stir it up so it cooks evenly.
  6. It only takes a minute or so to cook, so be careful not to leave it on the heat too long. You'll know it's done when the the larger leaves are getting wilted, but the stalks are still very stiff.
  7. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.

Alternate recipe:
If you can't find water spinach in your area, try this recipe using regular spinach. It looks about the same and taste very similar.

http://www.thaicookbook.tv/thai-recipes/side-dishes/sir-fried-morning-glory-pad-pak-boong-fai-daeng/

I don't know about stir-fried, but I am beginning to go a bit stir crazy cooking so many aubergines!

Back
Top Bottom