Stir Fry with plain Noodles

McyD Fry Cook

Local time
6:25 PM
Wanted to get everyone's opinion: has anyone tried eating Asian style stir fry (veggies or meat) with plain wheat noodles? I know they commonly serve it with plain white rice but whenever noodles are incorporated in, the noodles are always stir fried. So what do you guys think? Does it make sense to serve stir fry with plain white noodles? How come Asian restaurants never serve it that way?

You know, I'm not sure what you say is true. I think 'authentic' Asian stir fry is sometimes served over plain noodles. Member Yorky lives in Thailand - maybe he can add to this. At any rate, personally I have served stir fry with plain noodles. They then get mixed in as the dish gets eaten.

It sounds like you'd like plain noodles instead of rice as a side dish and the restaurants aren't offering that. I've never noticed, it's possible I'd imagine. Don't think Italian restaurants for example offer that either, or maybe on a kids menu. Maybe it depends on the type of Asian restaurant your asking. Chinese for example have lo mien and chow mien and I'm sure you could ask for them on the side. Other Asian cuisines will have ramen and soba noodles which are white wheat noodles which I'm sure they would provide if someone asked for them on the side. Plain noodle side dishes I suspect is not common or even exist and why you might be having trouble, not sure though.

You know, I'm not sure what you say is true. I think 'authentic' Asian stir fry is sometimes served over plain noodles. Member Yorky lives in Thailand - maybe he can add to this. At any rate, personally I have served stir fry with plain noodles. They then get mixed in as the dish gets eaten.

I don't believe that there is an authentic "Asian" method of preparing and eating noodles. I've eaten noodles in China, Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and, of course, Thailand. They are different yet the same in some ways. And when it comes to food, borders are irrelevant.

It sounds like you'd like plain noodles instead of rice as a side dish and the restaurants aren't offering that. I've never noticed, it's possible I'd imagine. Don't think Italian restaurants for example offer that either, or maybe on a kids menu. Maybe it depends on the type of Asian restaurant your asking. Chinese for example have lo mien and chow mien and I'm sure you could ask for them on the side. Other Asian cuisines will have ramen and soba noodles which are white wheat noodles which I'm sure they would provide if someone asked for them on the side. Plain noodle side dishes I suspect is not common or even exist and why you might be having trouble, not sure though.

I have never come across noodles as a side dish in Asia.

Wanted to get everyone's opinion: has anyone tried eating Asian style stir fry (veggies or meat) with plain wheat noodles? I know they commonly serve it with plain white rice but whenever noodles are incorporated in, the noodles are always stir fried. So what do you guys think? Does it make sense to serve stir fry with plain white noodles? How come Asian restaurants never serve it that way?
I'd say yes, absolutely. Stir fry noodles are common, and I don't know why you couldn't use linguine or whatever you have on hand in a pinch.

This thread confuses me. Stir fries with noodles are absurdly common. What exactly is a "plain wheat noodle"?

This thread confuses me. Stir fries with noodles are absurdly common. What exactly is a "plain wheat noodle"?

Not stir-fried but simply boiled/hydrated. So not a side dish but served in the same bowl as the stir-fry. Or at least, that's what I assume.

Here on Australia at our favourite Vietnamese restaurant, all noodle dishes are served with a variety of noodle options, from rice noodle, yellow noodles, thin ribbon wheat noodle to thick ribbon wheat noodle. I'm sure there is a 5th option but I can't think of it right now.

I make stir fried asian style noodles, with loads of goodies in it, as a side in my home.

IMG_6537.JPG

Also, where I come from, Hawaii, they're found in abundance as a side and main in restaurants.

I was confused, too. He means making a stir fry without a starch, and then using plain noodles ala plain rice. No reason you can't do that - noodles are pretty easy to stir and cover in a dish, which is I suppose why such a thing hasn't caught on. But I like noodles better than plain white rice, so hey, why not.

Back
Top Bottom