Stock Cubes

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
11:44 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I'm curious.
Usually most of my recipe books tell you what volume of stock is required for a recipe. But I've a new book that is written by an American in Australia and they tell me what volume if water they want and separately how many stock cubes are required for the recipe. Now I've never used stock cubes. I've always used a powder that is 1tsp per 250ml on the whole.

Can someone tell me if 1 cube is for 1L or ½L please. The recipes both say 2L boiling water and 2 stock cubes.

Telling me what stock cube you use to what quantity of water could be useful so others don't just repeat the same stock cube information (quick photo? ). Thanks

It will vary according to brand.

Knorr veg stock cubes (10g) say add 450ml water to one cube

Oxo veg stock cubes (approx 6g each) say add 190ml water to one cube

Kallo veg stock cubes (10g) say add 500ml water to one cube

Marigold veg powder says add 4 level tsp per litre to one litre.

Its annoying when recipes say 'stock cube' for the very reason that they vary in ingredients and strength. The accepted convention for recipes (unless its brand specific) is to say the quantity of stock required.

I vaguely remember one of my kids eating a stock cube (oxo) when very young. It was wrapped in silver foil, they thought it was a sweet,lol.

Russ

We either buy stock in containers (if we don't have any homemade) or soup bases, which come in paste form. Can't remember the last time we used bullion cubes, which are mostly salt.

Back
Top Bottom