Strawberry ideas

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:39 AM
Here is one giant strawberry! I think there is a thread somewhere about giant veg and fruit but I couldn't find it. Anyway - I bought this strawberry and a whole lot of others in the market in Saffron Walden (3 huge punnets for £2). So now I have a lot of strawberries to use up. Ideas welcome - I've already done Eton Mess...

20180313_170919.jpg

...believe it or not these huge strawberries taste fantastic, You would think that being so large they would be devoid of flavour - but they aren't.

Strawberry fruit leathers are one of my favourite but difficult without a dehydrator
Strawberry jam is excellent
A strawberry coulis is another great use of them concentrating their flavour.
Strawberry cheesecake another (actually flavoured with strawberries not just on top of a cheesecake)
I've a few others but the recipes are at home, I'll see if I can find anything similar to them online but with you not liking sweet things is going to be difficult.

When I have an unreasonable amount of any fruit, I usually make an ice cream or something similar. This avoids that awful moment when you realize that you haven’t found enough uses for it, and you have to throw the rest out.

Brussels sprouts are surprisingly resilient; delicate fruits like strawberries aren’t. They’re really only great for about 2 days, and then they start to rot.
Since ice creams and the lime are frozen, there’s no big rush to use it all as long as you prepare it soon after buying the fruit.

So, with that, I’d like to direct your attention to my Strawberry Gelato recipe.

Last edited:
Strawberry protein shakes are a big thing here. Banana is usually added, along with whey or eggwhite protein, ice, and milk.

Add some spirulina and/or wheatgrass for more oomph.

I'm thinking something simple but visually elaborate..

Such as a simple strawberry flan. Shortcrust base, custard filling with a small volume of strawberries chopped into the custard and then strawberries piled on the top... You could go one step further and sprinkle with icing sugar and glaze them with that blow torch I think you have...

20180315_132721.jpg
(not my picture)
This sort of thing...

Another idea was a simple strawberry ice cream....

Then there was strawberry panacotta...

Finally just half the strawberries and dip them in dark, bitter chocolate... You could even add a single large one dipped in chocolate to the centre of the flan.

Plus don't strawberries apparently go well with balsamic vinegar?

image.jpeg
F
image.jpeg

These are some of my strawberry plants, we are at the end here, just made last batch strawberry jam for the year, I've picked and frozen 9 kgs this season. Jam and coulis.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom