Recipe Strawberry muffins

Herbaceous

Local time
1:34 AM
These muffins take a while to make because you’ve got to let the strawberries sit with sugar to draw the juices out, but they’re worth it. I got this recipe from my dad, but I haven’t got a clue where he found it - he clips a lot of recipes out of the newspaper and magazine.

Strawberry Muffins

1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped strawberries
3/4 cups sugar, divided
2 cups flour, not sifted
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla

Combine strawberries and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Let sit for 1 hour. Drain and reserve liquid and strawberries separately.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine flour, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In medium bowl, mix eggs, butter, vanilla, remaining 1/4 cup sugar and liquid from strawberries. Add flour mixture; stir until just combined. Fold in reserved strawberries. Spoon into greased muffin tin and bake for about 20 min, until cake tester comes out clean. Serve warm. Makes 12 muffins.

ADFF37A8-F242-4731-989C-11BFA7634115.jpeg 7A7109E6-9238-467B-9BDE-141994B75F61.jpeg

Nutmeg with strawberries is unusual, but it works here. My husband hates nutmeg, but he loves these muffins (please just don’t tell him there’s nutmeg in there!)

They get that darkish brown colour when they bake - I used regular old all-purpose flour. I did bake this batch maybe 1-2 minutes too long, but they still tasted pretty darn good.

Back
Top Bottom