Strudel pastry - is it difficult to make?

Timenspace

Guru
Local time
12:53 AM
[Mod.Edit: this post and following few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

No but I can post it for you soon. I did not make the puff pastry though
Oh, no, no, do not burden yourself then...I am in search of the dough recipe, or different ones...to find the one I cannot precisely name or describe, but that to me is THE one for a Strudel, a homemade everything about it...Thank you for being willing to:love:

If you want to, of course you can. Is it a puff pastry from the shop then? And what kind of fruit did you use? Fresh or possibly jarred?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, no, no, do not burden yourself then...I am in search of the dough recipe, or different ones...to find the one I cannot precisely name or describe, but that to me is THE one for a Strudel, a homemade everything about it...Thank you for being willing to:love:

If you want to, of course you can. Is it a puff pastry from the shop then? And what kind of fruit did you use? Fresh or possibly jarred?
Thanks for clarifying, I guessed so 👍
I used frozen cherries that I defrosted for the filling, some sugar, orange zest and cinnamon. That was all.
I bought the puff pastry. I believe Morning Glory has a recipe for it

I am in search of the dough recipe, or different ones...to find the one I cannot precisely name or describe, but that to me is THE one for a Strudel, a homemade everything about it

I bought the puff pastry. I believe @Morning Glory has a recipe for it

I can do puff pastry but strudel dough is another thing entirely and I've never attempted it. It consists of paper thin sheets of pastry which are rolled on a large table - to get and idea see this: How to make Paper-Thin Strudel Dough » Little Vienna

You can buy filo pastry in supermarkets here but its not quite the same. Strudel dough is pliable and wetter. Filo is drier and more brittle.

I can do puff pastry but strudel dough is another thing entirely and I've never attempted it. It consists of paper thin sheets of pastry which are rolled on a large table - to get and idea see this: How to make Paper-Thin Strudel Dough » Little Vienna

You can buy filo pastry in supermarkets here but its not quite the same. Strudel dough is pliable and wetter. Filo is drier and more brittle.
well, this is certainly a great start to my terminology of strudel dough research. I thought, after writing to Windigo here, there is no better place to search for THE strudel dough, than this forum.
Thanks a lot! let me see the links...yes, the pictured strudel Lil Vienna looks very like the one I desire...I wonder if it has air bubbles within the baked dough, this is what I would love... and it to be buttery, but not overly, and flaky, they do mention flaky, so it is a very good start...

Filo, or phyllo, do not know which is the correct spelling, not really, that I imagine with spinach and cheese filling, not the cherry or better yet, sour cherry strudel that I dream of...but good to know.

Thanks for clarifying, I guessed so 👍
I used frozen cherries that I defrosted for the filling, some sugar, orange zest and cinnamon. That was all.
I bought the puff pastry. I believe Morning Glory has a recipe for it
oh wow, orange zest, I like that! What a good idea! of course, you are a professional. :D I am so glad I mentioned it, I almost forgot I was in search of strudeldough...
thanks! Dank u!

I might attempt a strudel during the self-isolation, what better time than this...i wonder how and whether it would work with wholegrain flour...let's see.
if it flops, I can always peel the 'coat' and eat the filling:D

well, this is certainly a great start to my terminology of strudel dough research. I thought, after writing to Windigo here, there is no better place to search for THE strudel dough, than this forum.
Thanks a lot! let me see the links...yes, the pictured strudel Lil Vienna looks very like the one I desire...I wonder if it has air bubbles within the baked dough, this is what I would love... and it to be buttery, but not overly, and flaky, they do mention flaky, so it is a very good start...

Filo, or phyllo, do not know which is the correct spelling, not really, that I imagine with spinach and cheese filling, not the cherry or better yet, sour cherry strudel that I dream of...but good to know.
I´ve got a friend in Venezuela who´s an accomplished pastry cook. She once attended a course on how to make strudel and confessed to me that it was probably more difficult than teaching a cat to swim.

I´ve got a friend in Venezuela who´s an accomplished pastry cook. She once attended a course on how to make strudel and confessed to me that it was probably more difficult than teaching a cat to swim.
Oh I easily believe that. When one watches the experienced hands making it , it seems, doable, I am willing to experiment. And learn. I am underskilled in baking and I upgrade my skills daily...
I just wrote down the Lil Vienna recipe, in detail, but they did not provide flour, water, oil measurements, hm...or maybe it is my border fever?
Oh well, I will see what to do, tomorrow or any day soon.
Was she happy with the results? And how many years of experience has she gathered since? What is her preferred filling?

oh, another thing, I will have to change some of the ingredients to align with my eating requirements...so, it is a bit more challenging in that way too...

Oh I easily believe that. When one watches the experienced hands making it , it seems, doable, I am willing to experiment. And learn. I am underskilled in baking and I upgrade my skills daily...
I just wrote down the Lil Vienna recipe, in detail, but they did not provide flour, water, oil measurements, hm...or maybe it is my border fever?
Oh well, I will see what to do, tomorrow or any day soon.
Was she happy with the results? And how many years of experience has she gathered since? What is her preferred filling?

oh, another thing, I will have to change some of the ingredients to align with my eating requirements...so, it is a bit more challenging in that way too...
It's actually not that difficult to make. I use to make a traditional apple strudel years ago and didn't make any for years until recently. I made a strudel dough with apples and cherries in an appetizer for foie gras recently and I fumbled a little but the mistakes are easily hidden, so it's easy to get better the more times you do it. I would suggest using a cloth to manipulate the dough, it moves easier and doesn't stick.

I watched a pastry chef make strudel once, and I'm usually game to try if something interests me enough, and I love strudel, but my first thought after watching him and his crew was..."I'm glad we have a German bakery in town." :laugh:

It's actually not that difficult to make. I use to make a traditional apple strudel years ago and didn't make any for years until recently. I made a strudel dough with apples and cherries in an appetizer for foie gras recently and I fumbled a little but the mistakes are easily hidden, so it's easy to get better the more times you do it. I would suggest using a cloth to manipulate the dough, it moves easier and doesn't stick.

I wish I could believe you that its not difficult. I'm good with pastry but strudel dough is a real skill. I hand it to you if you have that skill but for a novice, its not the place to start methinks?

Last edited:
I wish I could believe you that its not difficult. I'm good with pastry but strudel dough is a real skill. I hand it to you if you have that skill but for a novice, its not the place to start methinks?
How many times have your tried to make strudel? If your a complete novice then it may feel daunting and I'd almost still argue that it's still doable and should be tried. Like I said the mistakes are being buried and dusted with icing sugar and I see no excuse not to give it a try and I'd say it's easier than most pastry for that reason. Live adventurously I say. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom