Recipe Stuffed Cabbage Leaves

AgileMJOLNIR

Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
5:04 PM
I was craving cabbage so I decided to whip these up for lunch at work this week. The ones I usually make (Golabki) are Polish, however I decided to do more an Italian style filling this time. I ground some Pork and made a homemade spicy Calabrese Honey sausage. Once done I basted these with some White Truffle Olive Oil to give it that extra punch.

If anyone wants the homemade sausage recipe I’l transcribe it later, otherwise store bought sausage of your choosing will work just fine:)
This is entry #1 for the “recipe challenge” using Prosciutto 🐷

133D5A36-C3F4-4116-B0D1-E929F9224A81.jpeg

3DBB9293-5F61-4B86-8EFB-3E322F57147E.jpeg

INGREDIENTS​

• 1 x 3 pound (1.3kg) Cabbage
  • 1 tablespoon Garlic Olive Oil
  • 2 pounds (0.9kg) Spicy Italian Sausage or Ground Chuck 80/20
  • 1 small Onion finely diced
  • 5 stalks Celery finely diced
  • 4-5 Carrots finely diced
  • 1 Red Bell Pepper cut into small dice optional
  • 2 tablespoons Garlic chopped
  • 1 x 28 ounce can of Peeled Italian Tomatoes
  • 5 Thyme sprigs stripped and freshly chopped
  • Handful of Italian Parsley chopped
  • ¼ cup (59ml) of Beef or Chicken stock if needed
  • 2 cups Cooked Rice or any grain like barley or quinoa
  • 8 slices Proscuitto Ham cut very very thin
  • 1 handful of grated Cheddar or gruyere
  • 1 cup (236ml) Chicken Stock to add to the lasagna pan when cooking the balls. This may be less if using a smaller baking dish.
  • Salt and Pepper taste

INSTRUCTIONS​

• Using a large stock pot (large enough to submerge the whole cabbage) boil water and add salt like you would for pasta water. Remove the cabbage core and discard the first 2 or 3 outer leaves at the base of the stem. They are usually not so clean and bruised.
  • Carefully immerse the cabbage in boiling water and blanch them in the salted water and let them boil for a few minutes until the stem of the leaves is tender. When leaves have wilted, remove and immerse them in ice cold water immediately to stop the cooking process. Lay them on kitchen towels to dry.
  • In a Pot heat the olive oil; when hot add the onion, when onion is light brown add the sausage and sauté until golden brown (this may take 10 minutes). Add the celery, carrot, bell pepper, garlic and when the garlic is fragrant add the tomatoes with their juice, add the thyme and ½ of the parsley and SLOWLY cook for about 30 minutes. Add the rice and mix well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

Preheat Oven to 325°F / 162°C

• Fill the leaves using an 8-ounce ladle, place the center of one leaf in the center of the ladle followed by a payer of Prosciutto. Next add your meat filling, be sure to pack them the well. Top each one with the cheese and close the leave and flip them into a lasagna pan.
  • Pour a little chicken stock on the bottom of the pan and bake for about 45 minutes until rice is hot. The internal temperature should be around 155 to 160F

Recipe: adapted from Chef Jean Pierre

Last edited:
I like the idea of craving cabbage! I do like cabbage rather a lot and this looks interesting. But where is the prosciutto in the recipe instructions?

I like the idea of craving cabbage! I do like cabbage rather a lot and this looks interesting. But where is the prosciutto in the recipe instructions?

I noticed that, too, but I think I can see it in the photo, between the stuffing and the cabbage leaf.

CD

This sounds AND looks fantastic!
I don't do cabbage rolls anymore. Can't deal with removing the leaves. I now do a deconstructed version. I chop the cabbage and make meatballs out of the filling. I works great for me.

I have copied this recipe to my Copy Me That account and will try to make it deconstructed.

This sounds AND looks fantastic!
I don't do cabbage rolls anymore. Can't deal with removing the leaves. I now do a deconstructed version. I chop the cabbage and make meatballs out of the filling. I works great for me.

I have copied this recipe to my Copy Me That account and will try to make it deconstructed.
Thats great, please let me know how it turns out!

Funny you mention that because removing the cabbage leaves was the most annoying thing out of the entire process. I had a difficult time getting them off without tearing them. I tried a couple different techniques but I’m going to do a little studying to see if there is an easier way.

Last edited:
...looked at the original from Chef Jean Pierre and that also seems to omit the prosciutto from instructions!
He does, I noticed that last night and just forgot to add it in this morning lol. He also omits the Parsley in the ingredients but tells you to add it in the method lol. That one I remembered to add in ha ha.

Funny you entire that because removing the cabbage leaves was the most annoying thing out of the entire process. I had a difficult time getting them off without tearing them.
I just watched an old episode of Pepin’s Today’s Gourmet (early ‘90’s), and he made stuffed cabbage.

His technique was to remove the leaves first (eight in total), put them in the salted boiling water (outsides of leaves down, so placing them in like bowls), one atop the other, then he set a colander on top to keep them submerged.

I just watched an old episode of Pepin’s Today’s Gourmet (early ‘90’s), and he made stuffed cabbage.

His technique was to remove the leaves first (eight in total), put them in the salted boiling water (outsides of leaves down, so placing them in like bowls), one atop the other, then he set a colander on top to keep them submerged.
I love 90’s Pepin:) One of the shows I grew up watching that inspired me to cook.

I absolutely did it this way only I did not need to weigh them down, they collected enough water and they submerged themselves with help from the water agitation. Getting them raw off the cabbage was an entirely different experience and is something I clearly need to practice:)

Thats great, please let me know how it turns out!

Funny you entire that because removing the cabbage leaves was the most annoying thing out of the entire process. I had a difficult time getting them off without tearing them. I tried a couple different techniques but I’m going to do a little studying to see if there is an easier way.
This is a picture of my “unstuffed” cabbage.

unstuffed_cabbage_091320_IMG_7157.JPG

Back
Top Bottom