• ½ tsp baking powder
  • pinch salt
  • pinch dried sage
  • pinch dried parsley
  • pinch freshly ground black pepper
  • cold water
  • 1 litre beef stock
Method

Mix the flour, suet, baking powder, salt, sage, parsley and black pepper in a bowl.

Very slowly add cold water, a teaspoon at a time, whilst folding the mixture with a fork, keeping it as loose and aerated as possible. Separate the mixture into two dumplings.

Heat the stock until boiling. Reduce the heat to a simmer and carefully place each dumpling into the stock. Baste with the stock then cover with a tight fitting lid and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.

Serve with a beef stew.

*I appear to have a mental block when it comes to spelling parsley.

Last edited:
Suet dumplings rank high on my list of favourite things. :okay: But why didn't you cook them on top of the beef stew which is the 'normal' method?

Suet dumplings rank high on my list of favourite things. :okay: But why didn't you cook them on top of the beef stew which is the 'normal' method?

I did. But the "DotM" was dumplings, so I amended the method. Artistic licence.

I actually removed some of the solids from the stew prior to adding the dumplings to make more room.

I did. But the "DotM" was dumplings, so I amended the method. Artistic licence.

I actually removed some of the solids from the stew prior to adding the dumplings to make more room.
I just copied the method from your recipe for suet dumplings as well. Will try to recreate.
I don't think mine will be in a beef stew. I don't think I spotted beef on a good price on the supermarket leaflet... Is it a terrible thing, I will rename them...am very curious about the dumplings...

This is an image of dumplings cooking "in the stew" from some time ago.

dumplings.jpg

Back
Top Bottom