Sugar Cane Skewers

CraigC

Guru
Local time
6:30 AM
Have you ever used skewers made from fresh sugar cane? They are great with shrimp, scallops, etc. I think they are available dried as well, but we can get fresh cane.

Have you ever used skewers made from fresh sugar cane? They are great with shrimp, scallops, etc. I think they are available dried as well, but we can get fresh cane.

I never thought of it before - I can imagine they would be good for seafood. Not much hope of finding fresh sugar cane in Maidstone though!

I actually spotted somewhere selling sugar canes about 3 foot long not just last weekend.
I didn't buy any for obvious reasons but I was left wondering what you did with them.

What diameter where the ones you had? These would have made skewers desperately thick (1.5cm diameter minimum)

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually spotted somewhere selling sugar canes about 3 foot long not just last weekend.
I didn't buy any for obvious reasons but I was left wondering what you did with them.

What diameter where the ones you had? These would have made skewers desperately thick (1.5cm diameter minimum)

You peel the outer skin and slice the inside to what ever skewer size you want. The cane can be peeled and chewed on for the juice.

Back
Top Bottom