Suggestion for Gentlemans Dinner

ScandiBrit

Local time
4:17 AM
Dear foodies

I am planning a gentleman's dinner, so 6 men, all from 50 to up to 70 wanting good solid quality food and good wine and conversation.

This is not a boys night,but good discussion and good food. I would greatly appreciate suggestions for the menu. I think its meat based and somewhat traditional,

Thanks in anticipation

Richard

Well, whether it's a men's night or a women's night, I'd probably approach it the same way and ask for input, and maybe instead of doing a traditional meal with a big hunk o' meat and a few sides, maybe do more things in smaller portions, so you can account for the varying tastes of your guests.

Either way, sounds fun. Enjoy!

Reactions: mjd
You shouldn't query us, but query them, about what they like. That way you have better chances of not disappointing any of them. If you wish to surprise them, hopefully, you know them well enough, but it doesn't sound like that. If you wish to be subtle, ask each what their favorite restaurant is in passing conversation.

Thanks for feedback

I should add, I said some sort of traditional but classical fayre was to be served, so I want something traditional but not just a roast beef and potatoes.

Richard

Thanks for feedback

I should add, I said some sort of traditional but classical fayre was to be served, so I want something traditional but not just a roast beef and potatoes.

Richard
Is Haggus traditional? :hyper:

OK. I've poked fun. Pizza, Sandwiches, Rotisserie Chicken, Stir Fry and Fiesta foods, like Enchiladas, Pastas and the like.

I think you refer to something British traditional, maybe?
My suggestion might not be useful at all, but just to say I’d go with something stuffed: chicken and mushroom pies, vegetables like Portobello mushrooms or aubergines meat stuffed, then maybe frittatas (pasta or onion frittatas) and/or beef stew or beef rolls.. tiramisu or sticky toffee pudding, and as The Velvet Curtain said, some quality alcohol to wash all down

Gentleman's dinner.

Main course has got to be Game Pie surely? They look and taste great for this sort of thing and are robust enough to match with a good red. Small selection of veg and a nice creamy celeriac and potato mash, or game chips or even sauté potatoes.

MypinchofItaly idea of Ossobuco is also a good choice, strong robust flavours.

Starter, something light as main course will be quite heavy, a small lobster, crayfish or salmon cocktail?

Dessert? What about Eton Mess but vary the fruit? If you want to be a bit flash, go retro with Crepes Suzette?

I'm with the 'tasting menu' idea . . .
a chunk of:
beef- tenderloin
lamb - frenched mini-chops....
mutton - long braise
pork - also a tenderloin cut
poached fish

roasted (fresh) veggies - done right these are always a stunner....

Oh, just comes to mind: why not Ossobuco served with saffron risotto?
Ops! I did it again 😅 Italian referred..

That triggered a thought -- braised beef short ribs. I braise mine with a good dry cider (ie: Strongbow Dry) mixed about 50/50 with beef broth. A fall-apart tender substitute for roast beef. Great with mashed potatoes and roasted veggies.

ShortRibs001.jpg

CD

That triggered a thought -- braised beef short ribs. I braise mine with a good dry cider (ie: Strongbow Dry) mixed about 50/50 with beef broth. A fall-apart tender substitute for roast beef. Great with mashed potatoes and roasted veggies.

View attachment 50533

CD

Looks delicious, a good suggestion!

Some great suggestions above. Personally, I would go with a menu that requires minimal last minute effort, so that you can maximise your time with your guests, not frantically rushing round the kitchen. Slow cook pot roasts are great (beef brisket, lamb shanks etc.) and can be prepped earlier in the day and left simmering. Pies are good, made ahead and popped in the oven last minute. Cold starters and puds, again made ahead.

From memory, the last biggish party we did (it seems a long time ago now!) was:

Smoked salmon mousse or chicken liver pate.
Steak pie, baby jacket potatoes, roast veg gratin, port & Stilton gravy
Cheese board and port.
Oh, and enough wine to sink a battleship.

(This is assuming a winter menu, summer would be completely different)

Some great suggestions above. Personally, I would go with a menu that requires minimal last minute effort, so that you can maximise your time with your guests, not frantically rushing round the kitchen. Slow cook pot roasts are great (beef brisket, lamb shanks etc.) and can be prepped earlier in the day and left simmering. Pies are good, made ahead and popped in the oven last minute. Cold starters and puds, again made ahead.

From memory, the last biggish party we did (it seems a long time ago now!) was:

Smoked salmon mousse or chicken liver pate.
Steak pie, baby jacket potatoes, roast veg gratin, port & Stilton gravy
Cheese board and port.
Oh, and enough wine to sink a battleship.

(This is assuming a winter menu, summer would be completely different)

Port & Stilton gravy?:hyper: Sounds great!

The salmon mousse....just had a flashback to Monty Python’s 🤣

Back
Top Bottom