Sunday Cooking in Jamaica

Nikkishea21

Local time
2:22 PM
Today is Sunday and the traditional dish for us Jamaican is rice with peas and a meat of choice, which is mostly chicken. I once had a boyfriend who told me that he wanted dumplings and chicken for his Sunday dinner and i told him it is best if went to another house for that, lol. I absolutely love this day as my best friend and i turn it into a competition of some sort with our spouses being the judges. As far as i know they just love to have two dinners on these days and look forward to it as much as we do.

What do you have on Sundays?

Our Sunday lunch is somewhat similar, consisting mainly of baked chicken with rice and peas. Baked pork is sometimes used, but chicken is more popular. The peas can vary. I sometimes use field peas, and at other times I would use black eye peas, lentils or dried peas. Dried peas are nice, but as they take a longer time to cook than the others, I do not use them very often. Macaroni pie is also a dish that many people here cook on Sundays along with the rice and peas.

Of course, I never leave out my vegetables. These are always part of any meal I cook, and Sundays are no different. In fact, on Sundays I usually cook a little more vegetables than usual.

Growing up we always had our main meal right after church, meat, potatoes, gravy and vegetables. Now, I eat more of a lunch after church and eat dinner in the evening. I don't do anything too fancy for Sundays because I do not have anyone to impress and don't like to do a lot of work on my day of rest. I do like to have a treat on Sundays if I am in the mood to bake something.

Sunday is no different a day to any other day in this household. quite often we will simply have sandwiches because we are often out on a bike ride. Otherwise it will be toast and homemade pate, or bread and soup, or an olive ciabatta dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Nothing special.

Sometimes we eat like any other day on a Sunday. However, I am a fan of making a traditional English roast dinner on Sundays. This is roast meat, roasted potatoes, three or four vegetables and gravy. I always have leftover meat, so on Mondays I can make something like a stew or a curry with the leftovers.

Sunday is no different a day to any other day in this household. quite often we will simply have sandwiches because we are often out on a bike ride. Otherwise it will be toast and homemade pate, or bread and soup, or an olive ciabatta dipped in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Nothing special.

Where I live, we will think it quite odd to cook soup on a Sunday.. I don't think anyone here ever does that. Sunday is usually a day when family may invite each other over for lunch, so it would normally be a special meal with the main dish being rice and peas, along with a side dish like macaroni pie, sweet potato pie or potato salad. It is just a traditional thing for us. So, I guess what would seem normal in some cultures would seem odd in others.

Where I live, we will think it quite odd to cook soup on a Sunday.. I don't think anyone here ever does that. Sunday is usually a day when family may invite each other over for lunch, so it would normally be a special meal with the main dish being rice and peas, along with a side dish like macaroni pie, sweet potato pie or potato salad. It is just a traditional thing for us. So, I guess what would seem normal in some cultures would seem odd in others.
My family can not cater for my dietary needs, nor can my husbands family. Our home is not big enough for guests and my parents cannot manage our stairs (the bathroom is upstairs), so my husband and I have the day together, quite often out cycling on a long bike ride. That is our time together, so lunch is sandwiches and a hot drink from the flask. That had become our family tradition here. If we are feeling brave (bravery for facing families) we will cycle over to either my parents home (a round trip of minimum 70km, but often we make it 100km) or to his parents (minimum of 120km) and eat our sandwiches there!

Well in my country Sunday is the one day most people pull out all the stops. In my case I do to some extent but sometimes it can be quite a chore as I work in retail and end up coming in late on a Saturday night.

These days I am also expected to cook for my ailing mother-in-law and she is quite traditional. Thus every Sunday rice must be on the menu. I will vary the preparation of rice. It might be fried rice or a more traditional rice and peas. I must prepare at least two meats, cole slaw, toss salad and some sort of vegetables. Sometimes I am so tired after cooking I can't wait to rest.

The day when I can do a sandwich like SatNavSaysStraight is going to be a great day in history.:)

The day when I can do a sandwich like SatNavSaysStraight is going to be a great day in history.:)
You will have to find a husband that enjoys either cycling or hiking, take up the hobby yourself, ditch any children you may have somewhere else or get them into cycling/hiking and start doing all day hikes/bike rides. Sandwiches suddenly become essential :D

You will have to find a husband that enjoys either cycling or hiking, take up the hobby yourself, ditch any children you may have somewhere else or get them into cycling/hiking and start doing all day hikes/bike rides. Sandwiches suddenly become essential :D

I like the idea of ditching everybody including the husband :) but I must confess I have a slight fear of the bikes and cycling. Tried riding a bicycle after twenty years and was like a baby. Guess I am stuck with my lavish cooking until such time as I can take the plunge.

Back
Top Bottom