Sunday, Sunday....... watcha cooking?

LadyBelle

Veteran
Local time
8:00 PM
Recently Sunday has become a day of nothing for me. Work has been so busy I need a day of seeing no one, Netflix and not leaving the house. Cooking Sunday lunch/dinner is my most energetic activity!

Today I have even failed to muster the energy for that and am letting the slow cooker take the strain! I have a lamb tagine thrown together that will be ready this evening.

Have made some soup for lunch tomorrow. Was thinking of making welsh cakes but that’s just too much effort!

What are you cooking today? Do you enjoy a weekend pottering in the kitchen?

Recently Sunday has become a day of nothing for me. Work has been so busy I need a day of seeing no one, Netflix and not leaving the house. Cooking Sunday lunch/dinner is my most energetic activity!

@LadyBelle ... I can only dream of the mystical beast known as "a lazy day". :bookworm:

I made two NEW recipes today. (NEW for me that is)

First, I made a 4-minute "It is Sunday and I have too much stuff to do" frittata.

Second, I made the inaugural batch of 8 Mile Eggs (sorry no pics available yet)
The recipe has been floating in my brain for two months now. I even had a contest at work to name the recipe.

I also did sneak in one episode of the new Netflix series "Umbrella Academy".

20190217_172200.jpg

Sunday is the only day we can both guarantee being at home, so it's become sacrosanct time in the kitchen. A full roast is the norm, at least during the winter months. Yesterday involved a shoulder of pork, cooked sous vide for 16 hours, creamed mashed potato, green beans, tender stem broccoli, carrots, sweetcorn with sage and lemon, stuffing balls made with herbs from the garden and a gravy made from the meat juices. I made some pork scratchings from the skin of the joint, and my wife made a pear tart tatin for pudding. The cooking ritual kicks off with the opening of a bottle of fizz around midday. Dogs wander in and out of the kitchen, scrounging nibbles (usually olives) before heading back to the fire. Lunch is usually ready for three o'clock, eaten at the kitchen table with more wine and Johnnie Walker on the radio. Happy days.

I like the title!
And here it is...the first ever making of 8 Mile Eggs.
Ingredients:
  • Leftover Meatloaf. (It has to be leftovers!)
  • Poached Eggs
  • Hollandaise sauce (made from a packet mix)
This recipe is dedicated to all the working class people - bricklayers, ditch diggers, factory workers, etc.

And here it is...the first ever making of 8 Mile Eggs.
Ingredients:
  • Leftover Meatloaf. (It has to be leftovers!)
  • Poached Eggs
  • Hollandaise sauce (made from a packet mix)
This recipe is dedicated to all the working class people - bricklayers, ditch diggers, factory workers, etc.

It looks very good - why is it called 8 mile eggs though (apart from being a catchy title)?

It looks very good - why is it called 8 mile eggs though (apart from being a catchy title)?

Great question. I live in Detroit. There is a famous road in Detroit called 8 Mile Road.
Also, there is a movie called "8 Mile" that won an oscar for best music.

IMDb Review
8 Mile (2002)
A young rapper, struggling with every aspect of his life, wants to make it big but his friends and foes make this odyssey of rap harder than it may seem.
Director: Curtis Hanson
Writer: Scott Silver
Stars: Eminem, Brittany Murphy, Kim Basinger

Generally, 8 Mile is considered the dividing line between the "good side" of town and the "bad side". Please note, this is a generalization.

Because I wanted to dedicate this recipe to the working class, I tried to choose a name that would symbolize that. I even had a contest at work (Ford Motor Company) to name the recipe. When I first saw "8 Mile Eggs", I instantly fell in love with the name.

Back
Top Bottom