supermarket secrets

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
7:59 PM
Not really news, but on the BBC yesterday was a programme called "Supermarket Secrets" by Greg Wallace (usually best avoided) which gave a fascinating insight into how supermarkets gear up for the Christmas season. A section on how sprouts have been selectively bred over recent years to be sweeter tasting and less bitter. Also an enlightening piece about wine sales over the festive season, and how wine imported from places like Australia actually comes over in huge bags and is bottled in the UK, not at source.

I think it's bottled in Newcastle. Used to be done just outside of Leeds City Centre.

What way do you read a book?

I think it's bottled in Newcastle. Used to be done just outside of Leeds City Centre.

What way do you read a book?
The programme showed the freighter sailing up the Manchester Ship Canal, but didn't say exactly where the bottling plant was.

I think I saw the programme when it first came out. I remember the stuff about sprouts being bred to remove the bitter taste. Shame really as I'm one of those people who rather like that taste. I think whether you taste the bitterness is also a genetic issue (rather like coriander tasting of soap to some people).

Back
Top Bottom