- Sushi Knife
- Rice Paddle
- Rice Spreader
- Sushi Bazooka
- Silicone Brush
- Avocado Slicer
- Bamboo Chopsticks (2) with Cover
- Chopsticks Holder, Duck Shaped (2)

What I don't yet have are the Sushi plates and Wasabi/Soy tubs. These can be somewhat expensive for the nice ones. Wooden are cheap enough. I can also consider a Bento box.

What the he!l is a sushi bazooka. I just looked it up. Ok, it could help for sure but. Strange I think.

Yeah, its a substitute for the bamboo rollers. You fill it with rice on the bottom, load with what will go in the center, add more rice, close it up and squeeze it out. It does not however, allow wrapping in nori. I don't know whether I will ever use it, although it is possible.

The biggest problem anybody who is serious about making their own sushi, nigiri and/or sashimi, faces, is finding sushi grade, parasite free raw fish. It can be expensive.

Yeah, its a substitute for the bamboo rollers. You fill it with rice on the bottom, load with what will go in the center, add more rice, close it up and squeeze it out. It does not however, allow wrapping in nori. I don't know whether I will ever use it, although it is possible.

The biggest problem anybody who is serious about making their own sushi, nigiri and/or sashimi, faces, is finding sushi grade, parasite free raw fish. It can be expensive.
Yeah, you might try it once, then slap yourself and say what was I thinking. You can ask your fish monger for sashimi grade, they should be able to accommodate, of course I don't know where you live and it sure can be problematic.

Some provinces in Canada require restaurants that sell sashimi et al to be pre-frozen for health reason. Ontario were I live tried to legislate it in and this was years ago, early 90"s maybe and chefs in Toronto banned together to protest and it was a long battle, we eventually had the decision overturned. Our main argument was they need to show just cause and when asking how many people in Toronto have been ill or died from Sushi. there were 0 cases, so that pretty much did it, but hell it took a while. Pre frozen sashimi, what is that, not sashimi and not respecting the Japanese culture. imo that kind of thinking is a slippery slop.

Last edited:
Some provinces in Canada require restaurants that sell sashimi et al to be pre-frozen for health reason. Ontario were I live tried to legislate it in and this was years ago, early 90"s maybe and chefs in Toronto banned together to protest and it was a long battle, we eventually had the decision overturned. Our main argument was they need to show just cause and when asking how many people in Toronto have been ill or died from Sushi. there were 0 cases, so that pretty much did it, but hell it took a while. Pre frozen sashimi, what is that, not sashimi and not respecting the Japanese culture. imo that kind of thinking is a slippery slop.

And if you want to avoid pre-frozen, shopping online and having it shipped won't do that. You really need to find a local source that gets their fist right off the boat.

What I don't yet have are the Sushi plates and Wasabi/Soy tubs. These can be somewhat expensive for the nice ones. Wooden are cheap enough. I can also consider a Bento box.

I found a reasonably priced sushi plate with a wasabi/soy tub and chopsticks.

full.jpg

As you can see, I also acquired some Japanese geta boards too.

Very pretty set. Do you eat a lot of sushi or was this an impulse buy?

I love sushi and a lot of Japanese cuisine. It's usually very expensive. And if I can, because of the pandemic or otherwise, become more independent in preparing restaurant quality food, there's no reason to shy away from Japanese cuisine.

The Japanese are very artistic in their cuisine and their appliances and dishes, etc. These are worth having ownership on.

Reactions: mjd
Back
Top Bottom