Recipe Sweet Potato Kibbeh

Timenspace

Guru
Local time
5:52 PM
My first attempt on Kibbeh, using Sima's Way youtube recipe as an educational basis, used 1 fairly large sweet potato, which gave 13 kibbeh. It could serve 4.

Ingredients:

Filling:
100 g couscous
3 dry lime leaves
150 ml boiling water
salt to taste (2 pinches)
half a fresh red bell pepper
10 black olives

Dough:
1 large sweet potato
5 cups of water
1 teaspoon of salt
25 g chia seeds
25 g flax seed flour
10 g smoked paprika powder
10 g salt (adjust to taste)
10 g chilli powder (adjust to taste)
50-100 g rye flour (depending on how moist or sticky the dough gets)
50-100 g AP flour (depending on how moist or sticky the dough gets, plus for the final kneading)
2 tbs sunflower oil
50 g bulgur
50 ml cold water (to be added if necessary)
other herbs and spices of your preference could be added, like marjoran etc, I kept it rather simple, so that my daughter would eat it as well

Deep frying:
100 ml sunflower oil, or however you are used to frying, you could probably bake the kibbeh in the oven, too, but I did fry them in a pan on the stove.

Method:
1. Soak the couscous with the three dry lime leaves in boiling water, salt, leave covered until the sweet potato is cooked. The scent of the lime leaves is divine, citrusy, with a tiny bit of zang. It does not overwhelm, leaves just a hint.

2. Peel and cube the sweet potato in tablespoon size chunks. Salt them when in the water. Cook covered for 30- 35 minutes.

3. Chop the olives and the fresh sweet red pepper finely. Drain the couscous, add olives and peppers, mix, add salt to taste. Set aside.

4. Drain the sweet potato, you may preserve the water in which they were cooked, add some veg powder , half a lemon and let it sit, it makes for a wonderful clear aromatic soup, that is discreetly sweet, but not overwhelming.

5. In a bowl add seasoning, seeds. Add the rye flour spoon after spoon and mix after each spoon thoroughly. No need for additional water yet. It takes quite lot of mixing. Add as much flour as the dough will take to become formable, just gradually. For a long time, the dough looks very moist and you think, this will never come to the right consistency, but it does at the end.

6. Add bulgur, a teaspooon of water, see how it gets. You might add the bulgur first thing, at the beginning , with the spices. You want the dough to be managable, at this point you may leave the dough as is in the fridge for 10 minutes, to allow the bulgur and the flour to soak in the moisture. Taste it for salt and seasoning. I found it very satisfying that it did not taste overly sweet, but a tiny bit sweet, the smoked paprika took over, and I liked that. However it was not too dark in the taste either, it was shades of dark, but the basis more neutral.

7. Add AP flour spoon after spoon. You may leave it for another 5-10 minutes to rest.

8. Form the kibbeh. Place baking paper on your working surface, sprinkle the paper with ap flour, sprinkle the dough with some flour, do some kneading. Originally it can be shaped into beautiful pointed domes, pointed on both sides, but for the beginning, a simple patty is perfectly fine. What I did was cut a chunk of the dough, spread it on my palm (I used gloves), add half a teaspoon of filling, turn the outsides inside to the center of the kibbeh, so that the filling is closed. I used a fork to press it slightly. If you need some tiny part of extra dough to cover in the center, that is perfectly fine, fork it out, good to fry.

9. After all the hard work, it is now the easiest part, the frying. Preheat the frying oil, in a pan, on the stove, or however you prefer. Place the kibbeh on a fork and gently lower into the hot oil. You may sprinkle some more salt, if you wish. The kibbeh firms up pretty quickly and very well while frying, so it is not difficult to turn them over. Fry each side until dark brown. I did four batches, and the longer fried ones, to me, tasted better. Timewise, probably 5-7 minutes each side on 5/10 heat. You can watch it fry and adjust the heat.

10. After being fried, the kibbeh does not leak oil, so no need to drain them. Garnish and enjoy. We topped with mayonnaise and green olive paste, garnished with lettuce and fresh red peppers, but you can add whatever you like else.

I love this recipe, I've been looking to try kibbeh for a while and this looks really good!

My first attempt on Kibbeh, using Sima's Way youtube recipe as an educational basis, used 1 fairly large sweet potato, which gave 13 kibbeh. It could serve 4.

Ingredients:

Filling:
100 g couscous
3 dry lime leaves
150 ml boiling water
salt to taste (2 pinches)
half a fresh red bell pepper
10 black olives

Dough:
1 large sweet potato
5 cups of water
1 teaspoon of salt
25 g chia seeds
25 g flax seed flour
10 g smoked paprika powder
10 g salt (adjust to taste)
10 g chilli powder (adjust to taste)
50-100 g rye flour (depending on how moist or sticky the dough gets)
50-100 g AP flour (depending on how moist or sticky the dough gets, plus for the final kneading)
2 tbs sunflower oil
50 g bulgur
50 ml cold water (to be added if necessary)
other herbs and spices of your preference could be added, like marjoran etc, I kept it rather simple, so that my daughter would eat it as well

Deep frying:
100 ml sunflower oil, or however you are used to frying, you could probably bake the kibbeh in the oven, too, but I did fry them in a pan on the stove.

Method:
1. Soak the couscous with the three dry lime leaves in boiling water, salt, leave covered until the sweet potato is cooked. The scent of the lime leaves is divine, citrusy, with a tiny bit of zang. It does not overwhelm, leaves just a hint.

View attachment 67393

2. Peel and cube the sweet potato in tablespoon size chunks. Salt them when in the water. Cook covered for 30- 35 minutes.

3. Chop the olives and the fresh sweet red pepper finely. Drain the couscous, add olives and peppers, mix, add salt to taste. Set aside.

4. Drain the sweet potato, you may preserve the water in which they were cooked, add some veg powder , half a lemon and let it sit, it makes for a wonderful clear aromatic soup, that is discreetly sweet, but not overwhelming.

5. In a bowl add seasoning, seeds. Add the rye flour spoon after spoon and mix after each spoon thoroughly. No need for additional water yet. It takes quite lot of mixing. Add as much flour as the dough will take to become formable, just gradually. For a long time, the dough looks very moist and you think, this will never come to the right consistency, but it does at the end.

View attachment 67395

6. Add bulgur, a teaspooon of water, see how it gets. You might add the bulgur first thing, at the beginning , with the spices. You want the dough to be managable, at this point you may leave the dough as is in the fridge for 10 minutes, to allow the bulgur and the flour to soak in the moisture. Taste it for salt and seasoning. I found it very satisfying that it did not taste overly sweet, but a tiny bit sweet, the smoked paprika took over, and I liked that. However it was not too dark in the taste either, it was shades of dark, but the basis more neutral.

7. Add AP flour spoon after spoon. You may leave it for another 5-10 minutes to rest.

8. Form the kibbeh. Place baking paper on your working surface, sprinkle the paper with ap flour, sprinkle the dough with some flour, do some kneading. Originally it can be shaped into beautiful pointed domes, pointed on both sides, but for the beginning, a simple patty is perfectly fine. What I did was cut a chunk of the dough, spread it on my palm (I used gloves), add half a teaspoon of filling, turn the outsides inside to the center of the kibbeh, so that the filling is closed. I used a fork to press it slightly. If you need some tiny part of extra dough to cover in the center, that is perfectly fine, fork it out, good to fry.

View attachment 67398

9. After all the hard work, it is now the easiest part, the frying. Preheat the frying oil, in a pan, on the stove, or however you prefer. Place the kibbeh on a fork and gently lower into the hot oil. You may sprinkle some more salt, if you wish. The kibbeh firms up pretty quickly and very well while frying, so it is not difficult to turn them over. Fry each side until dark brown. I did four batches, and the longer fried ones, to me, tasted better. Timewise, probably 5-7 minutes each side on 5/10 heat. You can watch it fry and adjust the heat.

10. After being fried, the kibbeh does not leak oil, so no need to drain them. Garnish and enjoy. We topped with mayonnaise and green olive paste, garnished with lettuce and fresh red peppers, but you can add whatever you like else.

View attachment 67399
View attachment 67402

View attachment 67401

Very very nice, bookmarked!

I love this recipe, I've been looking to try kibbeh for a while and this looks really good!
Oh woow, thanks for that! Later I watched even pumpkin oer squash can be done for the dough, but sweet potato is very interesting...and close to the potato as in the original Sima's video...so I thought, let me give this a try😊
And they are even good cold👍🤓

Back
Top Bottom