1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes
4 TB. unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
Pure maple syrup or sorghum syrup, for serving

1. Heat a waffle iron according the the manufacturer's directions. Lightly oil the grids. Meanwhile, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl to combine, and make a well in the center. Whisk the milk, sweet potatoes, melted butter and egg yolks in a medium bowl until well combined and pour into the well. Whisk just until smooth; do not over mix.
2. Beat the whites in a medium bowl just until stiff peaks begin to form. Stir one-fourth of the whites into the batter to lighten it, then fold in the rest. Fold in the pecans.
3. Spoon about 1/4 of the batter into the center of each quadrant of the waffle iron and close the iron. Cook until the waffle is golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve the waffles hot, with the syrup passed n the side. Makes twelve 4" waffles

Source: "Back To The Table-The Reunion of Food and Family" Art Smith-pub. 2001

A little unusual using sweet potatoes in a sweet recipe (or it is to me). So would these be eaten as a breakfast dish? I recently acquired a waffle iron and my first two attempts at making were dreadful. They just didn't brown and stayed raw and doughy in the middle. As I've never eaten a waffle (they are not so common in the UK) I wasn't sure how the middle should be - but I know the outside should be golden and crispy.

A little unusual using sweet potatoes in a sweet recipe (or it is to me). So would these be eaten as a breakfast dish? I recently acquired a waffle iron and my first two attempts at making were dreadful. They just didn't brown and stayed raw and doughy in the middle. As I've never eaten a waffle (they are not so common in the UK) I wasn't sure how the middle should be - but I know the outside should be golden and crispy.
As I mentioned on the Cookbook Game #6, we have been trying to have these for breakfast for the past couple of days. DH cooked the sweet potatoes the other morning before he realized we did not have eggs. Tomorrow morning should be the lucky day. lol

As I mentioned on the Cookbook Game #6, we have been trying to have these for breakfast for the past couple of days. DH cooked the sweet potatoes the other morning before he realized we did not have eggs. Tomorrow morning should be the lucky day. lol

Sorry - you did mention it!

Back
Top Bottom