Recipe Sweet potatoes with rosemary, chilli and garlic

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:09 AM
I'm not a great fan of sweet potatoes (too sweet for me), but this recipe achieves a perfect balance of sweet and savoury, with the spicy aromatic beurre noisette adding an unusual robust earthy note. If you don't eat butter you could substitute a 1 Tbsp of good olive oil, but you'll miss out on the nutty flavour. Perhaps that could be achieved by using a dash of walnut oil.

Serves 4:
Ingredients
2 large or 3 small sweet potatoes cooked, mashed and kept warm.
4 fat cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped or crushed through a garlic press
7 birds eye chillies (use less if you prefer) de-seeded and finely chopped. Or use any chilli you prefer.
5 spears of rosemary
110g/4oz butter

Method
Remove rosemary stalks and finely chop the rosemary needles. This is about the only time I use a mezzaluna but a sharp knife will suffice. You should end up with about a tablespoonful. Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the rosemary, garlic and chilli. Cook over a moderate heat until the garlic begins to turn golden. Continue cooking until the butter turns nut brown (the beurre noisette stage). Pour the butter mixture onto the potatoes and mix.

Back
Top Bottom