Recipe Sweet & Savoury Stir-fried Spinach with Raisins and Pine Nuts

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:27 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk
Simple to prepare, but with great character, it’s an amazing side for some pilaf rice or some braised beef.

Spinach with raisins and pine nuts.jpg

Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 20 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins

• Spinach, fresh: 900 g
  • Butter, unsalted: 60 g
  • Raisins: 50 g
  • Pine nuts: 30 g
  • Nutmeg: ¼ tsp
  • Salt: to taste
Method

Soak the raisins in a bowl of lukewarm water and leave them to rehydrate for about 20 minutes; once they’re ready, squeeze them and use a clean kitchen cloth to dry them.

Toast the pine nuts in a pan, without adding any fat. Set aside both the raisins and the pine nuts.

Rinse the spinach and roughly dry them with a kitchen towel to get rid of most of the water. Melt the butter in a pan and stir-fry the spinach for 2 to 3 minutes. Season to taste.

Tip: When stir-frying the spinach, don’t add any water, or the leaves will become soggy instead of crispy.

Add the raisins, the pine nuts and the nutmeg to the spinach in the pan and sauté all the ingredients together for 5 minutes. Serve warm.

Everything looks very European until we get to the nutmeg and raisins, and then it takes a detour to North Africa. The great thing about this is that the ingredients aren't expensive, so I can take a chance with it. I will give this a try soon. :)

I agree about that. I adore spinach and one of my favourite pizzas has a topping of spinach, pine-nuts and raisins, olives, onions. Its known as a Veneziana at Pizza Express and each pizza sold makes a donation to the Venice Peril Fund. Or at least it use to - not sure now.

Everything looks very European until we get to the nutmeg and raisins, and then it takes a detour to North Africa. The great thing about this is that the ingredients aren't expensive, so I can take a chance with it. I will give this a try soon. :)

oh, you have a good eye! You are right about North Africa, because this recipe is often made in Sicily that has many food influences from Africa..

Back
Top Bottom