Sweet Tamarind

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:43 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I recently spotted an online company selling some of my favourite dates (khudary with seeds) off at £0.99 per 400g so given that my local source of them has dried up I bought 10 packets and in order to qualify for free delivery in needed to add in something else. So given I love fresh Tamarind for coming with, I bought a box of sweet Tamarind. I have to confess to not knowing what to expect other than they wouldn't be in the block that the sour Tamarind is that I normal buy.

They were delivered yesterday and I looked up last night what to 'do' with the sweet Tamarind. I was a touch surprised to find out it was essentially the same fruit as the sour Tamarind, just let to ripen. I was even more surprised to find out that once it had had its shell removed and you have removed the twiggy veins from the flesh, you just eat the flesh being careful of the stones!

I was considerably more surprised by the taste. It is wonderful. I could have sat and when the entire box in one sitting, they are so nice :) I can only guess at how good they must taste when they are really fresh!

DSC_0138.JPG DSC_0136.JPG DSC_0144.jpg DSC_0141.jpg

Tamarind is unsurprisingly a valuable fruit (though generally regarded as a spice) and is rich in valuable vitamins (thiamin, vitamin-A, folic acid, riboflavin, niacin, and vitamin-C), minerals (copper, potassium, calcium, iron, selenium, zinc and magnesium) and fibre. More information can be found here.

Last edited:
I have never heard of Tamarind, I wonder if they even sell it here? I'll keep my eyes open for it though as that looks really interesting and nutritious.

This is an ingredient I have never used. I want to invite you to my house with a bag of the ingredients you use and give me a lesson in using them in my cooking. Especially the fresh herbs and spices you use. I always think I am quite creative in my cooking and good at trying out new ingredients until I read your posts.

Back
Top Bottom