Sweetening food...

ABC123

Veteran
Local time
12:08 AM
I use my crock pot often and I marinade meat a lot. I tend to use brown sugar for all these things. Brown sugar in the crock pot with chicken and pork and in the marinade for the steak. I use brown sugar for cooked apples with butter. I use a lot of butter in my mixed veggies as well and in mashed potatoes. I am sure neither is very healthy. Wondering if anyone can give better substitutes that will create just as sweet taste to my sweet buds in my mouth.

If there is not a lot of other sugar in your diet, then what is the problem? Brown sugar is better than white sugar for you, well it is tastier anyhow.
You could try sweet fruit instead with the chicken and pork. Sultanas, raisins, apricots, dates, apples are all sweet fruits that have been used in recipes with chicken, pork and the likes.
I often use apricots, dates and recently kiwi with some of my dishes. Another was pomegranate that added sweetness.
Using dessert apples instead of cooking apples will add sweetness as well.

Otherwise you are looking at things like date syrup and honey to add sweetness. Grape syrup is another that can be used, but they are all just taking the sugar and leaving the fibre behind (except of course honey), so all are use with care so to speak.

As for the butter - well it is better to be using lots of butter than it is lots of refined margarines, and I have always worked on the principle it is better to use less of what you like than more of something you don't like that is supposedly (this week at least) healthier for you!

honey is an alternative used as sweeteners substitute in sugar,specially to those who have health concern regarding of what kind of food they must avoid and some person is highly do not used sugar for those who have illness,and the better sweetener is honey,infact a fresh and non manufactured honey is the best natural substitute as also it is stated many benefits specially regarding our health. :)

Brown sugar works well, but maybe try out honey? I love honey on food, and also some kinds of jellies. Apricot jelly works well with meats, for example, and also fruits. Also, maybe try out cooking sweetener if you are concerned with glicose and fat.

I use honey primarily, I gave up on normal sugar a long time ago, although it's undoubtedly still creeping up on me in some of the foods I eat. Nowadays you can never be too careful. Honey is a good alternative, in my opinion, as brown sugar isn't available where I live (or rather it's just pretty hard to find and expensive). But ideally, you want to minimize all types of sugar in your diet.

There's nothing inherently wrong with sugar. Its just that it is high in calories in relation to its nutritional benefits. Adding a bit of sugar here and there won't hurt at all. Its drinking a lot of sugary drinks or eating sugar laden snacks which cause weight gain, which is the main issue. A teaspoon of sugar added to a tomato sauce can really improve flavour and will only add a few calories extra per person. As mentioned before, fruits are a good addition to meat based casseroles. And why not try pickled lemons with chicken tagine? You won't want to add sugar to that recipe.

As for butter, that is more controversial. Chefs tend to use a lot in their cooking. It used to be regarded as unhealthy due to cholesterol but recently there have been differing views, with some saying its good for you in moderation. I personally don't use a lot of butter in my cooking (except for ghee, which I use for curries). Even in mashed potato I use a minimum with a little milk. You could use olive oil in mash if you want to avoid butter.

Back
Top Bottom