Table grill/raclette grill - do you have one?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:32 PM
[Mod edit: This and next few posts moved to form a new topic (MG)]

Table grill with my youngest stepson today, because he won't be here with easter.
The only home made thing is the garlic sauce this time, I wanted to keep it easy today.
View attachment 83397
View attachment 83398

Might seems a stupid question - but what is a table grill?

Last edited:
Might seems a stupid question - but what is a table grill?
Gourmetten – Life in the Hague

It's eating together from a special hot plate put on the table.

This is something that is done by other cultures as well, actually the Dutch copied it from the Japanese. It is also done in varying other forms in Asia, like Korean barbecue and Chinese hotpot. The latter is also practised here and called ' fonduen '.

Last edited:

This is something that is done by other cultures as well, actually the Dutch copied it from the Japanese. It is also done in varying other forms in Asia, like Korean barbecue and Chinese hotpot. The latter is also practised here and called ' fonduen '.
That’s what we call a raclette grill here, and we bought one over Christmas and have used it twice. We love it!

Does it plug into the mains... do I want one?

Does it plug into the mains... do I want one?
Yeah, you just plug it in the normal plugs.

I don't know if you want one, do you enjoy slowly eating a meal in bitesize pieces you grill one by one? What makes it fun is the company, it's meant to be way to connect as friends or family like gathering around a barbecue. You share the communal hot plate or pot, so you share food. That's usually a bonding experience.

... let me rephrase that. Do I need one? Probably not but you know, I never go out so...

What things can you cook on it?
Any kind of meat, fish, or vegetable as long as it's cut into thin strips or slices. By the Indonesian community these are also used to make Satay when it's too cold to barbecue.
You can't put thick slices of anything on it because that would take too long to cook. The temperature of mine ranges from 100 celcius to 200 celcius. 100 is the temp used to boil water, 200 is used for deep frying so it goes from slow to quick searing.

I don't know if you want one, do you enjoy slowly eating a meal in bitesize pieces you grill one by one? What makes it fun is the company,

Oh dear! I only ever eat alone these days. I wouldn't mid eating bitesized pieces alone though. Trouble is - I don't have a mains point near the dining table. So that means an extension cable...

Oh dear! I only ever eat alone these days. I wouldn't mid eating bitesized pieces alone though. Trouble is - I don't have a mains point near the dining table. So that means an extension cable...
I think if you're alone it's not much fun, but it might provide you with a quick mixed grill plate or something like Yakitori or Satay skewers if you like them. And you would need an extension cable. It's basically like indoor barbecueing with small pieces of meat.

Our tabletop grill / gourmet set is of this type:

Different countries may have different models

Yes, I would end up using an extension cord as well. I don't see that as a problem.

Here’s ours in action:

What did you cook or eat today (January 2022)?

Much like its cousin fondue, it’s meant to be something of a communal/group thing, but MrsT and I love it with just the two of us.

You can make a lot of things on it, from strips of meat and veg, to fried or scrambled eggs, quesadillas, even crepes. I just bought a little cookbook to go with mine.

I still like fondue better, though. Raclette is a little fussy, IMO, but you can do all the prep work up front, and then it’s a really participatory kind of meal after that.

But you often cook for your partner, you don't enjoy eating at the same time though?

Back
Top Bottom