Tablecloths - do you use one?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
5:52 AM
Do you ever use a tablecloth? It seems they are no longer fashionable and the only time I encounter them these days is in Indian restaurants or very occasionally in 'high end' restaurants although the last 4 times I dined in Michelin starred restaurants there were no tablecolths.

I think its not simply fashion but to do with easy wipeable dining table tops combined with easy clean table mats (and the fact that a lot of people don't want extra laundry and ironing).

Do you use them (and why?) and do you have some special tablecloths?

A bit of history:
Tablecloths were first introduced in the late medieval period when spreading a high quality white linen or cotton cloth was an important part of preparing for a feast in a wealthy household. The cloths served as a protector for tables made of expensive varnished wood, such mahogany.

Over time the custom of arranging tableware on a cloth became common for people in all walks of life, except the very poorest. But, as eating habits began to change during the late sixties and seventies new table-setting styles were developed to match.

As well as replacing tablecloths with table runners and place mats on bare wooden tables, families have increasingly dispensed with silverware in favour of helping themselves from large bowls or casseroles and sharing plates.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/23/table-cloths-folded-away-as-family-dining-goes-informal/

We do sometimes. When I have a jigsaw set up on the table we cover with a tablecloth to protect it-still use placemats. When we have guests at Christmas we use 1 and dress the table, day to day we don't.

I have a tabletop protector we use as a table cloth on a daily basis. It is easy to wipe down and as I run my business from my kitchen table it really helps.

I have a beautiful hand made table cloth I bought in made it a as a present for my mother-in-law and I was rescued it when my fath-in-law tried to throw it away after her death.

He was throwing it away as something was going mouldy on it, but I just gave it a was and it came up lovely. He said I could have it. I don't think it is something he would ever use.

Has to be a special occasion to use it as I have an aversion to ironing.

I think there is more of a shift to convenience and being more 'green'.

My parents use one when they have guests (proper guests) but even they now from trays watching the news. We always used to have them on the table when I was little but the seersucker ones that didn't show stains or need ironing. The 'posh' linen came out for lunday lunch.

Last edited:
Heh - I remember my Mum used to use a tablecloth but I haven't seen her do that for a long time. This Christmas she used a red paper tablecloth which looked very festive.

As I mentioned on the other thread, we have a white tablecloth on permanently because our dining table is getting a bit old and battered and whilst we ideally want to replace it with a white topped table, we haven't yet found the right one. So I've used a range of tablecloths over the past few years to get the effect I want. I started with a cheap cotton one which looked good initially and washes well but I no longer use it because it needs ironing (and I hate ironing). We then had a polyester one for a while which was fine to start with because doesn't need ironing, but eventually stains stopped coming out fully. Our current one is white vinyl with silver sparkles in it - it looks great and I love that it can be wiped clean.

At Christmas time we have a couple of fancy embroidered tablecloths that we use for special meals and for the rest of the festive season I have I have novelty vinyl tablecloth with Santas on it :happy:

If I do, husband irons it when he irons his shirts.

Good - at least he irons his own shirts! Why do men have to wear this stupid uniform with shirts that need ironing? Not their fault of course but its such a strange antiquated idea of 'correct smart attire' in the workplace.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom