Talking of crumpets

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:15 AM
On here during the week. So I cooked wife bacon n eggs, I took some crumpets out last night. So wife goes to,get changed and says, you forgot your crumpets, I said I couldn't do them like her, crispy lots of butter and Vegemite. She gave in and did them. Three times turned in the toaster. Just finished, perfect crunch to them.

Russ

Not sure about the vegemite, but I would be all over those crumpets. I like mine toasted over an open fire for added charcoal, with a thick slice of cold butter on top.

Well yes. I must admit I do like my crumpet to be more malleable than Russ's. I used to love your neighbors Staffordshire oat cakesView attachment 45260
Unless your photos are squished, they're pikelets, a thinner flatter version of the crumpet, and you can get even more butter on them! Oatcakes are much bigger, and thinner, more like a tortilla, and darker in colour. Sorry for the pedantry, but I was born in Staffordshire.

I don't know why, but we've never made it to the Ludlow Food Fair. The Nantwich Cheese Show is my favourite hunting ground.

I like crumpets very much. I've tried to make them from scratch with limited success. Maybe the manufactured ones are simply a different animal from what would have been a traditional home-made crumpet. Its the holes; if you make them yourself you can certainly get holes in the dough but in my experience they are not as large or as deep or even as a shop-bought crumpet. And. lets face it, the joy of a crumpet is the butter melting and dripping down into the holes.

One thing I've discovered is that you can toast shop bought crumpets straight from the freezer. This is great for me because I'm the only one who likes them here and I would normally only eat one on any occasion. Now, I always have a packet in the freezer in case I get crumpet craving.

I like crumpets very much. I've tried to make them from scratch with limited success. Maybe the manufactured ones are simply a different animal from what would have been a traditional home-made crumpet. Its the holes; if you make them yourself you can certainly get holes in the dough but in my experience they are not as large or as deep or even as a shop-bought crumpet. And. lets face it, the joy of a crumpet is the butter melting and dripping down into the holes.

One thing I've discovered is that you can toast shop bought crumpets straight from the freezer. This is great for me because I'm the only one who likes them here and I would normally only eat one on any occasion. Now, I always have a packet in the freezer in case I get crumpet craving.

No difference Brewers frozen or fresh, when daughter was here we ate fresh, those above were frozen. Real good.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom