Recipe Tamales with Red Chili and Chicken Filling

CraigC

Guru
Local time
8:21 AM
I should have doubled the sauce recipe or made Tex-Mex chili gravy. We still had tamales left after the sauce was gone. I didn't have any Arbols, so I used Japones.

36788-albums1110-picture7258.jpg

Ingredients
6 medium guajillo chilis, stemmed and seeded
3 medium ancho chilis, stemmed and seeded
3 chilis de arbol, stemmed and seeded
4 medium cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
2 cups homemade chicken stock or low-sodium broth
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 recipe Basic Tamale Dough
1 dozen dried corn husks, soaked in water for at least 1 hour

Directions
1) Combine all the dried chilis in a large Dutch oven or cast iron skillet and cook over medium-high heat, flipping chilis frequently, until slightly darkened and aromatic, about 3 minutes.
2) Transfer chilis to a medium saucepan and cover with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer until chilis are very soft, about 20 minutes.
3) Strain chilis through a fine-mesh strainer set over a medium bowl. Transfer chilies and 1 cup of steeping liquid to the jar of a blender.
4) Add garlic and cumin and puree until smooth. Using a rubber spatula, push sauce through a fine-mesh strainer set over a medium bowl. Discard solids in strainer
5) Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering.
6) Add red chili sauce and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened to the consistency of tomato paste, about 5 minutes.
7) Stir in chicken stock and bring to a boil.
8) Nestle chicken thighs in sauce, reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until thickest part of thigh registers between 175-185°F on an instant-read thermometer, about 20 minutes.
9) Transfer chicken to plate and let stand until cool enough to handle, then shred by hand or using two forks.
10) While chicken is cooling, increase heat to medium-high and let sauce boil until slightly thickened.
11) Remove from heat, let cool slightly, then season with salt and pepper.
12) Add shredded chicken to sauce and stir to combine. Set aside.

Assembly
1) Working one at a time, place a corn husk on work surface. Place 2-3 tablespoons of tamale dough on larger end of husk and spread into a rectangle approximately 1/4 inch thick, leaving a 1-inch border around edges of husk.
2) Place a heaping tablespoon of filling in a line down center of dough. Fold over sides of husk so dough surrounds filling, then fold bottom of husk up and secure closed by tying a thin strip pulled from another husk around tamale. Repeat with remaining husks, dough, and filling.

Cooking
1) Fill a large pot with 1 inch of water and bring to a boil.
2) Rest tamales upright in a steamer insert or on rack above the water level.
3) Cover and steam until dough is cooked through and pulls away easily from the husk, about 1 hour.
4) Remove tamales from steamer and let rest until dough firms up, about 15 minutes.
5) Serve immediately or store in refrigerator for up to a week or freeze for up to four months. Defrost and reheat tamales in steamer until warmed through or in microwave on high for 2 minutes.
6) Use extra sauce to top.

Tamale Dough
Ingredients
3 cups of masa harina para tamales mixed with 2 cups water or chicken stock and left to rest, covered, for 15 minutes (see note)
8 ounces lard (Manteca)
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup homemade chicken stock or store-bought low-sodium broth, plus more as needed

Directions
1) Combine lard, salt, and baking powder and, using an electric mixer or stand mixer, beat at medium-high speed until well whipped, about 1 minute.
2) Add one-fourth of the masa at a time to the lard, beating between additions until thoroughly incorporated. 3) Add chicken stock and continue beating until dough is light and has a soft and spreadable hummus-like texture.
4) Cover masa with plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
5) Remove masa from refrigerator and re-whip, adding additional chicken stock 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary, to return it to original hummus-like texture.

dozen dried corn husks, soaked in water for at least 1 hour
This is what really makes this dish special. Authentic Mexican restaurants make their tamales this way to impart a fantastic corn flavor (above and beyond what's in the dough). When you have a tamale that's not made this way, it might be good, but you'll feel like there's something missing.

You're giving me yet another thing to put on my "to do" list!

I added pulverized frozen (thawed) corn to the masa as well and kind of ad libbed on the recipe, a little more masa harina and lard to the masa mix. BTW, a small ball of finished dough should float in a glass of water. If it doesn't, it needs to be whipped more and/or have more lard and/or liquid added until it does.

I added pulverized frozen (thawed) corn to the masa as well and kind of ad libbed on the recipe, a little more masa harina and lard to the masa mix.
You just hit the trifecta of awesome tamale (and tortilla) making techniques. I can never have enough corn, masa is AP with a soul, and lard always makes things taste better.

Back
Top Bottom