Recipe Tamarind Caramel Popcorn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
2:55 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I came across this recipe a few days ago and could not help thinking - :licklips If only I could somehow make it vegan (I'm allergic to dairy). I love tamarind and popcorn but it had never occurred to me that the 2 could go together! I can see some experiments happening this next week!

Ingredients
  • 25 g (0.9oz) popping corn
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 50 g (1.8oz) granulated sugar
  • 50 ml (1.8fl oz) double cream
  • 30 salted butter
  • 1 tbsp tamarind concentrate (or paste)
  • 1 pinch cinnamon
  • 1 pinch sea salt
Step-by-step
  1. Pre-heat the oven to 120C.
  2. For the popcorn, heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the corn, place the lid on the saucepan, and shake the saucepan occasionally. After a few minutes the kernels will being to pop, once the regularity of the popping slows, remove from the heat. Give the saucepan a good shake. Set aside.
  3. Have the cream and butter measured out and close to hand. In a small saucepan, on a medium heat, add the sugar, swirling the pan occasionally until the sugar dissolves and starts to turn reddish-brown at the edges.
  4. Add the butter, swirling until it dissolves. Remove from the heat and add the cream and the tamarind. Return to the heat for a minute or so. Stir in the pinch of cinnamon.
  5. Spread the popcorn out on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Pour on the tamarind caramel, ensuring to coat every single popcorn.
  6. Place in the pre-heated oven for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Leave to cool to room temperature, sprinkle with salt and then break up any large pieces (or not!), and enjoy.

I came across this recipe a few days ago and could not help thinking - :licklips If only I could somehow make it vegan (I'm allergic to dairy). I love tamarind and popcorn but it had never occurred to me that the 2 could go together!

Same here when I read the title of this thread. I never thought that tamarind and popcorn could go together, but this recipe sounds like it's worth trying out :D

Back
Top Bottom