Recipe Tamarind (Imli) Chutney

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
5:18 AM

I posted this on another forum and thought it might go down well over here, too.
I use this chutney for fried snacks: samosas, pakora, little turnovers, croquettes, meatballs, falafel, etc.
A chutney is basically a spicy marmalade. chatni in Hindi means "to lick", so basically this is something that´s finger lickin´good
lol.gif
You might find fresh chutneys, made of yoghurt, herbs, coconut, etc., and you´re probably more familiar with things like Mango Chutney, apple chutney, tomato chutney, etc.
I´ve put the Hindi names for the spices in case you need to source them in an Indian grocery.

Ingredients
400 gms tamarind paste
350 gms sugar
1 1/2 inches fresh ginger
1/2 tbsp roasted cumin seeds, (jeera) ground
1/2 tbsp hot chile powder (cayenne, or something similar)
1/2 tbsp fennel seed powder (saunf)
1 tsp asafoetida (hing)
1/2 tbsp black salt (namak)
1/2 cup raisins or pitted dates

Method
1. Blend the ginger and raisins (dates) with a little tamarind paste.
2. Put in a large pan and add all the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Once it boils, lower the temperature to medium and cook for about 20-25 minutes, until the chutney thickens.
3. Pour into sterilized jars, seal with the lid, and water bath for about 25 minutes. Keeps for years unopened, but I recommend putting it in the fridge once opened.

This photo is of cauliflower pakora ( Brits would probably call them "bhajis") with imli chutney.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom