Recipe & Video Tandoori Chicken (Double Smoked - Stove Top version)

Hungry Man

Local time
4:01 AM
Website
www.youtube.com
Stove top Tandoori Chicken
View: https://youtu.be/XYPHDx0-NaA

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 kg chicken drumsticks or thighs
  • ½ cup thick yogurt / curd
  • 3 cloves of garlic (grated)
  • 1 thumb of ginger (grated)
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp tandoori masala
  • 4 tsp kasmiri chili powder (for extra heat and color)
  • 1 tsp kasoori methi (fenugreek)
  • ½ lemon (juice)
  • 2 tbsp mustard oil
  • 1 tbsp ghee / clarified butter
  • 2 tsp salt

Instructions:
  • Remove the skins of the chicken and cut deep slits into each chicken piece.
  • Grate ginger and garlic and mix to paste
  • In a mixing bowl, add half of the ginger & garlic paste, 2 tsp red (kashmiri) chili powder, ½ tsp salt and juice of a lemon.
  • Whisk to mix well. Add the chicken, coat with the marinade.
  • Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  • In a separate bowl, and 2 tsp red chili powder, 1 tbsp mustard oil and 1 tsp salt and whisk to combine
  • Add yogurt, 1 tsp tandoori and garam masala, 1 tsp kasoori methi and rest of the ginger and garlic and mix
  • Whisk and transfer the chicken into the 2nd marinade after the 1st marination is done
  • Rub and make sure the chicken is fully coated with the mariade including the slits
  • Cover and refrigerate overnight to finish the 2nd marinade
  • Remove the chicken out to room temperature 30 minutes before cooking
  • Optional step (smoking):
  • Transfer the chicken in a pot leave a space in the middle
  • Burn a small piece of smoking wood or food safe charcoal on the stove top
  • Place the smoking wood in a small metal or clay cup and place in the middle of the pot
  • Drizzle couple of drops of oil and cover the lid
  • Let the chicken smoke there at least 15 minutes for a nice smoky flavor
  • In a hot pan, heat up drizzle of mustard oil and 1 tbsp ghee
  • Sear the chicken pieces until nicely charred on each side on high heat
  • Cover and cook on medium heat for few more minutes, flip the pieces occassionally
  • Serve with red onions, lemon slices, naan or rice

Do you use mustard oil? I'm freaked out by the negative things that are associated with it...like being banned for human consumption in North America..I still see it in stores, but just can't bring myself to using it..

Do you use mustard oil? I'm freaked out by the negative things that are associated with it...like being banned for human consumption in North America..I still see it in stores, but just can't bring myself to using it..
There is an FDA-approved edible mustard oil, called Yandilla, which contains no erucic acid.
I'm not using it very often though, maybe couple of times a year for some Indian dishes.

There is an FDA-approved edible mustard oil, called Yandilla, which contains no erucic acid.
I'm not using it very often though, maybe couple of times a year for some Indian dishes.
I don't have much experience with it..I did buy a bottle once and after reading that, I threw it out..good to know about the approved oil, I'll check for it next time I go to the Indian grocer...thanks for the info...

I don't have much experience with it..I did buy a bottle once and after reading that, I threw it out..good to know about the approved oil, I'll check for it next time I go to the Indian grocer...thanks for the info...

I use an approved mustard oil too - I'm not sure its available where you are.

Back
Top Bottom