Retro Recipe Tandoori Chicken

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:19 AM
A little similar to Chicken Roasted in Spiced Yoghurt although this recipe calls for skinned chicken. I found this in an old recipe book. I've not tried this particular recipe yet but it sounds to me as if it would work rather well. Of course, strictly speaking, tandoori should be cooked in a tandoor oven...

fullsizeoutput_3b4f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3b50.jpeg

I've had internet down for 3 days, connected through my house alarm. Something went boom. Just got back on now. My tandoori is red like the Indian one, and one of my best dishes.
That yoghurt I found this morning, Margaret fultons Kashmiri chicken. I gave it an 8.

Russ

My tandoori is red like the Indian one, and one of my best dishes.
That yoghurt I found this morning, Margaret fultons Kashmiri chicken. I gave it an 8.

Yes - it is traditionally red. But the question is how to get it red. Most commercial tandoori mixes use red food colouring as do Indian restaurants. The only other way I've found is to use achiote (which is hard to find here) - but that, of course is not authentic and becomes more like my achiote chicken here:
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/chicken-achiote-with-paprika-and-blood-orange.12191/

I recently ordered some kashmiri chilli powder which os a much more vivid red than the normal chilli powder I get. I haven't yet tried it for tandoori chicken.

Margaret Fulton's Kashmiri Chicken?

Yes - it is traditionally red. But the question is how to get it red. Most commercial tandoori mixes use red food colouring as do Indian restaurants. The only other way I've found is to use achiote (which is hard to find here) - but that, of course is not authentic and becomes more like my achiote chicken here:
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/chicken-achiote-with-paprika-and-blood-orange.12191/

I recently ordered some kashmiri chilli powder which os a much more vivid red than the normal chilli powder I get. I haven't yet tried it for tandoori chicken.

Margaret Fulton's Kashmiri Chicken?

Yep her book published about 1985. Best book I've got.

Russ

I wonder what are the specifics of a Tandor oven that might set it apart from other ovens.

Just throwin' it out there.

I wonder what are the specifics of a Tandor oven that might set it apart from other ovens.

Just throwin' it out there.

I've seen up real close a tandoor oven being used. The heat is massive competed to my oven grill. I get the same blackening also as the yoghurt cooks. I'll take pics next time.

Russ

View attachment 19774 This is the stuff I buy from an Indian shop. About $4 a tin. About 2 inches square.

Russ

That would be red food colouring made from E 124 - cochineal I think - I can get that here too (different brand). The Indian brand here also contains E 102 -tartrazine. I suppose it is the easiest way to get that colour...

That would be red food colouring made from E 124 - cochineal I think - I can get that here too (different brand). The Indian brand here also contains E 102 -tartrazine. I suppose it is the easiest way to get that colour...

Lol, I don't know what's in it, but it works, and that tin will last a year or so. Hmmm, my wife's fave is tandoori lamb cutlets. I must get onto this.

Russ

My family just loves the tandoori chicken. I tried my hand at making it but the chicken came out be very dry, didn't taste that great but was okk though.

Back
Top Bottom