Recipe Tapa: Galician Sliced Baby Octopus & Smoked Pimentón Paprika.

Francesca

Local time
2:16 PM
francescaoctopus1052555_220884431392238_46972271_o.jpg

In Galicia, the northwestern corner of the Iberian Peninsula, baby octopus is a extraordinary delicacy and not surprisingly, highly popular throughout the rest of Spain. This dish is traditional during the Lent Season which begins in February and lasts until Easter Sunday.

Recipe:

1 fresh baby octopus - 1 kilo
Sea Salt
1 tsp. Smoked Pimentón de La Vera ( a Spanish smoked paprika from Extremadura )
1 tsp Smoked Pimentón Picante ( spicy )
Evoo

1) Pound the body of the baby octopus and the tentacles with a pestle taking care not to damage the suckers or tentacles ..
2) Heat some unsalted wáter in a large saucepan .. When it comes to a boil, turn the bag of the octopus head, inside out and then holding on to the sides with the tentacles facing downwards, dip it in the boiling wáter very gently in and out of the water three times.
3) Now place the octopus into the wáter and boil it for 40 to 45 minutes according to thickness until tender.
4) Prick it to check if it is tender and then remove from the saucepan and set aside 15 minutes.
5) When you are ready to serve it, as photograph shows: snip with kitchen scissors into thin slices or strips and arrange on a rectangular plate and season with the sea salt and then drizzle Evoo and sprinkle the 2 types of Pimentón ..
6) Serve hot or room temperature.

Serve with a Cambados 100 % Albariño White Wine or a bottle of O´ Rosal Rias Baixas White Wine or a Cava, Prosecco or 100 % Godello White grape wine from Ourense, Galicia .. And some crusty bread to dip into the Evoo & Paprika Sauce ..

One can also serve with a sauce boat of Ali Oli ..

Last edited:
@ElizabethB

The size of the Octopus is the key to the success. One must purchase or obtain a fresh baby octopus if possible or a frozen baby octopus that was caught the same morning or day before ..

I have had "rubbery octopus" at Tapas Bars due to the age and or inexperienced manner in which they were prepared ..

My husband and I decided to see if we could prepare it and my two Grandfathers showed us the their success story

It is a favorite tapa of our´s and so, alot of research via Word of Mouth !

Have a lovely day ..

Back
Top Bottom