Tastes change over the years.

I find myself liking meat (chicken, beef, pork) less and less as I get older. Always enjoyed a char grilled ribeye MR - these days one bite will do me. Fruits and Vegetables now seem more appealing to me. It is not a conscious choice, meat just doesn't have that much of an appeal to me anymore. Funny how tastes change over time.

This is a really interesting topic.

I'm thinking, but I can't come up with much. I like what I've pretty much always liked, though I eat more varied things now than when I was younger.

I used to prefer very different foods before I got my ileostomy surgery. I know that gut bacteria influence our food preferences Understanding the Role of Gut Microbes on Eating Behaviour | GUTXY.

Since I had my surgery, I love chicken, salmon, bell peppers, avocadoes and tomatoes much more than before. My favorite food used to be pizza, but shifted to curries. I also like fish in general much more than before. I have a hard time naming every change from the top of my head, but fact is that my whole diet changed since. I've also come to like cheeses like brie and other stinky cheese which I used to dislike before.

I've also had to accept that a few of my favorite foods are just hard to impossible to eat given my lack of colon, like mushrooms, popcorn, some dried legumes and most leafy greens. I really do miss mushrooms, but after having an ileus I avoid them.

I guess with my colon a whole host of bacteria got lost and I have different preferences as a result.

Last edited:
I never ate fish or seafood until I was about 30. Then I moved to Venezuela,hit the tropical beaches, fresh fish on order all the time.
Can´t get enough of it now.
However, I´ve definitely gone off chicken.
And my tolerance for hot peppers has gone up:pepper::pepper:

I still don't like Christmas pudding though
weirdly I do like Christmas pudding (ok, it had to be dairy free & alcohol free) and only my home-made Christmas cake (recipe is on CB) but it's too heavy and fruit laden for hot weather in Australia so we've stopped making it, also dairy free and alcohol free), but i can't stand mince pies! lol

weirdly I do like Christmas pudding (ok, it had to be dairy free & alcohol free) and only my home-made Christmas cake (recipe is on CB) but it's too heavy and fruit laden for hot weather in Australia so we've stopped making it, also dairy free and alcohol free), but i can't stand mince pies! lol
I don't do Christmas cake (or any fruit cake) either....I'm just weird :D

I don't know if you've tried to make dairy-free ice cream? But if you have recipe that works (needs to be a creamy one rather than a sorbet) the Christmassy flavours of mince pie, fruit cake and Christmas pudding all work well and make for a much lighter festive desert. I crumble my Christmassy addition into the ice cream mixture when its still soft but almost finished so you end up with the smaller particles spread throughout the ice cream for background flavour and slightly larger lumps which give a nice Christmassy burst of flavour now and again.

Edited to add: apparently cashew milk is a good non-dairy substitute because of it's higher fat content. Coconut can also work, but I'm not sure the flavours would work for Christmas.

I don't know if you've tried to make dairy-free ice cream? But if you have recipe that works (needs to be a creamy one rather than a sorbet) the Christmassy flavours of mince pie, fruit cake and Christmas pudding all work well and make for a much lighter festive desert. I crumble my Christmassy addition into the ice cream mixture when its still soft but almost finished so you end up with the smaller particles spread throughout the ice cream for background flavour and slightly larger lumps which give a nice Christmassy burst of flavour now and again.
I don't do any other fruit cake except my Christmas cake and nothing else with raisins , currants or sultanas... don't usually like them.

I have tried making a vegan ice-cream in the past, but not having am ice-cream maker hinders things. I've made better sorbet tbh.

however, we've gone Aussie on Christmas day now. pavlova... lots of vegan cream and so much fresh fruit...

I need to get a better picture this year, but I'm making individual sized ones this year, due to going away on St Stephen's Day (26th).

No,I don´t think so. I think it´s us Brits that are wierd and the rest of the world is normal:o_o::o_o: Just consider:
  • A mince pie is a heavy, boozy sickly sweet concoction of dried fruit, spices and beef fat, encased in pastry
  • A Christmas pudding is something similar, with flour and eggs added, and is then set alight and slathered with butter. Just the thing after consuming Turkey, stuffing, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, Brussels Sprouts, creamed carrots and yorkshire pudding - excellent for the diet:cool:
  • A Christmas cake is the same as the first two, except it´s served cold.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Back
Top Bottom