Tasty meals for persons with hypertension.

kammy

Veteran
Local time
5:08 PM
I am suffering from hypertension and i am running out of ideas when it comes to preparing healthy meals a i eat mostly wheat products and use little or no salt in my cooking. At this point in time i drink mostly soups and raw vegetable salads. I am in need for some recipes that are healthy and tasty at the same time that a person with hypertension can enjoy.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/high_blood_pressure_diet

This might be useful. I am hypertensive but I don't eat very well. I am on medication but I have been quite bad when it comes to my eating habits. Only this morning my son was telling me to take better care of myself.

Thank you for the link i found some really great recipes there...i think i'll be doing the Broccoli with Black Bean-Garlic Sauce as a side dish for dinner this evening...and i noticed you stated that you don't eat very well but just remember it's a gradual change it's not something that happens overnight.

Thanks Kammy. I am glad you are planning to try something as soon as today. I usually provide the fine links and then delay on trying stuff. It's not deliberate. It's a very tight schedule especially now it's the holidays. Anyway, I am going to look for something I can try tomorrow.

I hope to have something good to report on my taking action in relation to my health. Thanks for the encouragement.

I have hypertension as well, but I generally don't cook specific meals for it. I usually just watch the salt content (and not just direct salt content, Sodium can be found in many things such as stock and soy sauce to name a few) of recipes and often use less than a third of what it will state. I never cook veg in salted boiling water, Salt always gets added at the table unless I have learnt that a specific recipe really does require it (like a tortilla).

I also don't use pre-made sauces because again they contain a massive amount of sodium.

I guess what I am saying is to eat normally, just omit the culprits from your diet and avoid ready made produce such as stir fry sauces, pasta sauce, ready made meals etc and don't lace your food with soya sauce or ketchup! Or for that matter salt!

That's where my problem comes. I really do stay away from "salt" sometimes forgetting the "culprit" is still there disguised by another name. The soy sauce is a prime example.There was a time when I was so addicted to this sauce. I have not been completely cured and I am afraid my son still has the addiction. I love the flavor and would always find a way to add it to lots of my cooking.

This a good reminder to check my labels more. I know how that sodium can creep into those sauces without us realizing it.

Back
Top Bottom