Temperature probes

caseydog

Local time
1:19 AM
Fwiw I rotisserie over charcoal at 160 c for 2 1/2 hrs . Long and slow is your friend.

Russ

That's pretty much my plan. I have a bluetooth probe thermometer that connects wirelessly to my iPhone. I'll go by internal temperature for the time.

CD

That's pretty much my plan. I have a bluetooth probe thermometer that connects wirelessly to my iPhone. I'll go by internal temperature for the time.

CD

Perfect, I have a probe that I poke in, I really should get an internal one like you say. What brand is yours please?

Russ

CD

Perfect, I have a probe that I poke in, I really should get an internal one like you say. What brand is yours please?

Russ

Thanks caseydog i mentioned to my son about your probe and he has one that he got from Weber. I explained about your one with wifi so he got on Ali express, and found one similar to yours for $20 . He ordered two, one for each of us.

Thanks

Russ

Thanks caseydog i mentioned to my son about your probe and he has one that he got from Weber. I explained about your one with wifi so he got on Ali express, and found one similar to yours for $20 . He ordered two, one for each of us.

Thanks

Russ

Thanks

Russ

Wow, twenty-bucks? :ohmy: I hope it works.

CD

Ooooh that looks great! I really can't justify buying any more gadgets at the moment though :whistling:

I use one of these to check internal temperatures:
j242_hygiplas-easytemp-white.jpg

Very accurate, but of course you need to check manually every now and again.

When I'm roasting in the oven I use this:
PSGBAP190PP000T4.jpg

It plugs in to my oven: I set the oven temperature and the internal temperature I want to cook the meat to and the oven beeps and turns itself off when its done :okay:

Ooooh that looks great! I really can't justify buying any more gadgets at the moment though :whistling:

I use one of these to check internal temperatures:
View attachment 60085
Very accurate, but of course you need to check manually every now and again.

When I'm roasting in the oven I use this:
View attachment 60086
It plugs in to my oven: I set the oven temperature and the internal temperature I want to cook the meat to and the oven beeps and turns itself off when its done :okay:

I have a wired thermometer with two probes, one for the meat, and one for the grill (BBQ). But, you can't use it with a rotisserie, for obvious reasons.

My wired thermometer has a remote, but it is good for about 50 feet, tops. Through a wall, forget it.

CD

I am lost without my meat thermometer. Lost it a couple months ago and I will get another. I didn't use it that much on meat, though I did but went back to feel, it was especially good at telling me the temperature of oil in a pan on the stove.

Steaks I burn and keep raw on the inside, no need. Chicken, they say 160ºF, screw that. Mine are more like 145ºF. They taste a hell of alot better. And those scares of salmonella, forget. It has been found on lettuce, how hot are you going to cook that ? Plus it is not that bad with people recovering no problem.

Now pork is another story, trichinosis is quite bad requiring treatment. It attacks your muscle tissue. Stillit is rare on commercially available pork. however of you like wild meat, deer, bear, all that, it is prone to have trichinosis so it must be up to temp before serving.

So I wil get another, but when I order I want to order a bunch of other things to share the shipping.

T

I am lost without my meat thermometer. Lost it a couple months ago and I will get another. I didn't use it that much on meat, though I did but went back to feel, it was especially good at telling me the temperature of oil in a pan on the stove.

Steaks I burn and keep raw on the inside, no need. Chicken, they say 160ºF, screw that. Mine are more like 145ºF. They taste a hell of alot better. And those scares of salmonella, forget. It has been found on lettuce, how hot are you going to cook that ? Plus it is not that bad with people recovering no problem.

Now pork is another story, trichinosis is quite bad requiring treatment. It attacks your muscle tissue. Stillit is rare on commercially available pork. however of you like wild meat, deer, bear, all that, it is prone to have trichinosis so it must be up to temp before serving.

So I wil get another, but when I order I want to order a bunch of other things to share the shipping.

T

I'd say you might want to rethink your chicken and pork. The USDA now says that pork is safe at 145F, which is what I do with mine. I also cook pork sous vide, so I can cook it for longer at 145, and bot overcook it.

Chicken, on the other hand, still needs 160-plus cooked normally. You can go lower with a method like sous vide, where you can hold the temperature for a longer period of time.

It is a temperature/time equation. Bacteria is totally killed at 160 in seconds, but you can also kill bacteria at 145, if you cook the meat for longer. Sous vide allows you to do that, with NO chance of overcooking.

BTW, trichinosis is no longer considered a threat, due to vast improvements in pig farming techniques. 145F is fine for pork.

CD

Back
Top Bottom