Recipe Teriyaki Spam® Musubi

kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Local time
5:50 PM
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
Website
mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com
Spam® is a wonderful thing, I’m talking about the canned meat, not that junk in your email box. In Hawaii, we make something called Spam Musubi (moo-sue-bee), it’s something like sushi, Onigiri.

I knew that Spam® became very popular there during World War II, through much of the Pacific. The US Army found that it was the most effect way to get meat to the soldiers.

I did a Google search on Spam® and was simply fascinated. I won’t do any lengthy copy&paste for you, I’ll just hyperlink the Wikipedia article for you to read. One fact I do want to point out to you though, in the United States, Hawaii residents consume the most Spam per capita. Do I still count?

Teriyaki Spam Musubi​

8 servings

Ingredients:

5 ½ – 6 cups cooked medium grain white Rice

1 can Spam®, sliced equally into 8 pieces

2 sheets of Musubi Nori

Sauce:

¼ cup Brown Sugar

½ cup Soy Sauce (I love low sodium Aloha Shoyu)

1 Garlic clove, smashed

Instructions:

Steam the rice and allow to cool down enough to handle, but still warm.

In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients until the sugar dissolves, set aside.

In a dry skillet, brown the Spam® well; set aside. Wipe out the pan, add in the sauce and bring to a bubble; add back in the Spam®, turning occasionally, until sauce thickens.

spam-musubi-003.jpg

Place a piece a plastic wrap over a board. Cut each sheet of Nori in 4 equal pieces, there should be perforations to follow on the sheets. Place a piece of Nori shiny side down on the plastic and the Musubi mold over the middle of it. **

spam-musubi-005.jpg
spam-musubi-006.jpg

Fill the form with rice; press down very firmly with the top piece of the mold that has been moistened with water. While still holding down the handle of the top, carefully remove the form and then top piece.

Place a slice of Spam® over the rice; wrap the Nori tightly over the Spam® and rice, damping the last edge with water to ensure it sticks to itself.

spam-musubi-008.jpg

Wrap tightly in the plastic wrap and set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes, this softens the Nori a bit and makes much more pleasant to eat.

spam-musubi-009.jpg

Unwrap and enjoy a little piece of Hawaii, preferable at the beach! Back home, these yummy treats are enjoyed anytime of day or night. They can be found just about anywhere, even at gas stations.

** Alternate method :
Place a piece of plastic wrap on the inside of the Spam® can, press in very firmly with your fingers, enough Rice to fill the can 1/3 of the way. Using the plastic wrap, gently pull the formed Rice out onto the piece of Nori and continue.

ALOHA!​

Last edited:
Spam's great and I've been eating it since a little kid.

Nowadays I usually air-fry it in slices as a quick and simple meat dish when we are having some mixed Chinese stir-fry veggie dishes and white rice, or a simple sandwich for the kids - slapped in a bun with some sliced cheese and condiments.

I occasionally make Spam fries late at night - also air-fried.

I must try it in sushi-form too. :)

Well damn it all, now I want to eat musubi!
I like to also cut my Spam® on the thicker side sometimes, like into to 6 rather than 8 ... more Spam® to Rice ratio that way.
Also you'll see that I do not cut the Nori sheet to "fit" the musubi. In Hawaii mostly we just use a thick-ish strip, in other words not to envelop the entire musubi.
IMG_2445.JPG

Spam's great and I've been eating it since a little kid.

Nowadays I usually air-fry it in slices as a quick and simple meat dish when we are having some mixed Chinese stir-fry veggie dishes and white rice, or a simple sandwich for the kids - slapped in a bun with some sliced cheese and condiments.

I occasionally make Spam fries late at night - also air-fried.

I must try it in sushi-form too. :)
In Hawaii we're like you folks vernplum we eat Spam® in alot of different ways and dishes. It's a staple in my pantry.
And funny, it's more expensive here on the Continental United States as apposed to Hawaii.

spam humor.jpg

NO JOKE!

Well damn it all, now I want to eat musubi!
I like to also cut my Spam® on the thicker side sometimes, like into to 6 rather than 8 ... more Spam® to Rice ratio that way.
Also you'll see that I do not cut the Nori sheet to "fit" the musubi. In Hawaii mostly we just use a thick-ish strip, in other words not to envelop the entire musubi.
View attachment 78204
Do you season the sushi rice? by season I mean the traditional vinegar sugar and salt.

Do you season the sushi rice? by season I mean the traditional vinegar sugar and salt.
No, it's not that sort of sushi. The sauce on the Spam soaks down into the rice and adds flavor that way, DELICOUS!
There are many variations to Musubi, this is just one of them.
IMG_4179.JPG

7-Eleven is a large chain convenience store and they have small clear hot boxes with many different types of musubi and they're pretty inexpensive too .
IMG_4181.JPG

I will. I've had spam once, in my teens, and I thought it was pretty good but for one reason or another never tried it again.
garlichead unless you are really a huge fan of salty foods, I would humbly suggest using the 25% lower sodium Spam, also the low sodium Soy Sauce.

Back
Top Bottom