Recipe Texican Shredded Pork

CraigC

Guru
Local time
11:05 AM
This is a great multi use recipe. I've used it in tacos, burritos, nachos and "on a bun". The next time I make South West eggrolls, I will sub it for the chicken. Feel free to adjust the heat level/seasonings to your liking.

Ingredients
1/4 cup corn or vegetable oil
1 1arge onion; chopped
1-large jalapeno, minced with seeds
1 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 2" pieces
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp: dried thyme, crumbled
1/2 tsp. died oregano, crumbled
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
Pinch of ground allspice
3 large garlic cloves minced
2 tbsp. tomato paste
2 14 1/2 oz. cans stewed tomatoes
2 cups beef stock, low sodium
2 cups chicken stock, low sodium
2 dried bay leaves crumbled
1/4 cup, chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
1) Heat oil in heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
2) Add onion and jalapeno and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
3) Add pork and stir until brown on all sides, about 7 minutes.
4) Mix in chili powder and next 6 ingredients and cook 2 minutes.
5) Add garlic and tomato paste and cook 3 minutes.
6) Stir in all remaining ingredients except cilantro.
7) Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour.
8) Uncover and simmer until pork is tender and shreds easily, about 1 hour.
9) Remove pork from liquid. Set aside.
10) Increase heat to medium and simmer cooking liquid until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 35 minutes.
11) Shred pork and mix into liquid. Sprinkle with cilantro.
12) Serve as taco or burrito stuffing or use your imagination!:cool:

You can make a salad "bowl" out of a large flour tortilla and use the pork as part of a Mexican salad. It goes good over rice with some refried black or pinto beans.

Interesting. Is this to simulate a "pork stock"? I've made pork stock before, but this is a good time-saver if I don't want to spend a day making my own.

Shred pork and mix into liquid.
Great recipe. Do you use the double-fork method here? I've seen chefs use their hands in competition, which they probably regret when their fingers start to burn.

I believe that the original recipe combined the beef and chicken stock as a replacement for pork stock. Since the cubes are so small, 2 forks does the job. I once smoked a pork butt to take over to my brother's house, about 3 hours away. I pulled the butt from the smoker at 205F internal, wrapped it in foil and a kitchen towel and headed over. Once there, it sat on his counter for another hour. The steam rising from the butt after I unwrapped it, should have been my first clue. I started in on that puppy with my fingers. Bad choice, it was still hot enough to burn the fingers. I ended up using two large serving forks, kicking myself that I didn't have a pair of bear claws for the job.

Do you use the double-fork method here? I've seen chefs use their hands in competition, which they probably regret when their fingers start to burn.
I've seen that too! Nevertheless, I'd be inclined to get in there with my fingers.

I have a sorry time with pork. It may be that you get different cuts in the US (I'm never sure what butt is as we don't call it that) - I seem to get pork which goes dry...

I've seen that too! Nevertheless, I'd be inclined to get in there with my fingers.

I have a sorry time with pork. It may be that you get different cuts in the US (I'm never sure what butt is as we don't call it that) - I seem to get pork which goes dry...

Pork butt (also called Boston Butt) is from the thicker end of the shoulder. I believe what you want is a shoulder blade roast, not trimmed of fat. I usually get them without the bone and they average about 8-1/2 pounds.

This is a great multi use recipe. I've used it in tacos, burritos, nachos and "on a bun". The next time I make South West eggrolls, I will sub it for the chicken. Feel free to adjust the heat level/seasonings to your liking.

Ingredients
1/4 cup corn or vegetable oil
1 1arge onion; chopped
1-large jalapeno, minced with seeds
1 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 2" pieces
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp: dried thyme, crumbled
1/2 tsp. died oregano, crumbled
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
Pinch of ground allspice
3 large garlic cloves minced
2 tbsp. tomato paste
2 14 1/2 oz. cans stewed tomatoes
2 dried bay leaves crumbled
1/4 cup, chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
1) Heat oil in heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium heat.
2) Add onion and jalapeno and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
3) Add pork and stir until brown on all sides, about 7 minutes.
4) Mix in chili powder and next 6 ingredients and cook 2 minutes.
5) Add garlic and tomato paste and cook 3 minutes.
6) Stir in all remaining ingredients except cilantro.
7) Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour.
8) Uncover and simmer until pork is tender and shreds easily, about 1 hour.
9) Remove pork from liquid. Set aside.
10) Increase heat to medium and simmer cooking liquid until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 35 minutes.
11) Shred pork and mix into liquid. Sprinkle with cilantro.
12) Serve as taco or burrito stuffing or use your imagination!:cool:

You can make a salad "bowl" out of a large flour tortilla and use the pork as part of a Mexican salad. It goes good over rice with some refried black or pinto beans.

Does this make enough to freeze or does it have to be used up straight away. And how many would it make.??

Russ

Does this make enough to freeze or does it have to be used up straight away. And how many would it make.??

Russ

It is only 1 pound of meat. There may be a little leftover for lunch for one of us, but not enough to freeze unless you double or triple the recipe.

Back
Top Bottom