Thai Food

Zyni

Veteran
Local time
8:20 PM
My husband and I like to try new things every so often, and we kept hearing about this Thai restaurant. We decided to give it a try, because my husband thought he would enjoy some curry. He wanted some of the really hot stuff.

Well, it wasn't very hot, and it wasn't very good. Maybe it's just that restaurant.

So, now I'm trying to figure out how I can make some good curry for him. I know there are recipes all over the place, but I wonder if anyone here has a special recipe or any tips.

How about making a Thai curry at home then you can add as much heat and flavour as you want. My wife makes a mean Green Thai Curry, the recipe is something like this:

To make the paste:
Zest of 1 lime
1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed and chopped
4cm piece of fresh ginger, chopped
3 shallots, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp palm sugar
1 tsp fish sauce
Small handful of coriander stalks
1 green chilli, chopped inc seeds

Whizz all this up in a food processor.

For the broth:
1 tin coconut milk
400 ml chicken stock
Paste from above.

Combine in a large pan or wok. Heat until simmering, adjust taste by adding more fish sauce as required. I often sneak in a few shakes of our homemade hot chilli sauce when she isn't looking

Add chicken, boneless thighs or breast fillet (also works with beef, salmon or most firm white fish)and trimmed green beans. Cook until tender. Season with lime juice and serve on Jasmine rice, top with chopped coriander and more chilli if required. You can play around with the quantities to make it as hot or as fragrant as you want.

How about making a Thai curry at home then you can add as much heat and flavour as you want. My wife makes a mean Green Thai Curry, the recipe is something like this:

To make the paste:
Zest of 1 lime
1 lemongrass stalk, trimmed and chopped
4cm piece of fresh ginger, chopped
3 shallots, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp palm sugar
1 tsp fish sauce
Small handful of coriander stalks
1 green chilli, chopped inc seeds

Whizz all this up in a food processor.

For the broth:
1 tin coconut milk
400 ml chicken stock
Paste from above.

Combine in a large pan or wok. Heat until simmering, adjust taste by adding more fish sauce as required. I often sneak in a few shakes of our homemade hot chilli sauce when she isn't looking

Add chicken, boneless thighs or breast fillet (also works with beef, salmon or most firm white fish)and trimmed green beans. Cook until tender. Season with lime juice and serve on Jasmine rice, top with chopped coriander and more chilli if required. You can play around with the quantities to make it as hot or as fragrant as you want.
You should have posted this as a Recipe! You still could if you delete the post and resend it as a new Recipe in the Ethnic and Regional section. It sounds great but I wouldn't make it without at least a bit more chilli added (or in my case, a lot!).

You should have posted this as a Recipe! You still could if you delete the post and resend it as a new Recipe in the Ethnic and Regional section. It sounds great but I wouldn't make it without at least a bit more chilli added (or in my case, a lot!).

I couldn't work out how to do that. Still learning the ropes here. Agree on the chilli - being quite fragrant this dish can stand lots of heat ☺

I couldn't work out how to do that. Still learning the ropes here. Agree on the chilli - being quite fragrant this dish can stand lots of heat ☺
To post a Recipe click on the relevant section (in this case Ethnic and Regional). The click on Post new thread (in the top right hand corner). You will get a blank message to fill in. Click on 'Prefix' and choose 'Recipe' from the drop-down menu. Then fill in the title of you recipe. Then type or paste your recipe in the message and post. Easy! Took me a while to work out though!

I love Thai food. I've never cooked it myself, but I'd like to, if I can work out which ingredients I have a reaction to. I know lemongrass sometimes gives me migraines, and a friend and I used to pretty much get high when we'd eat at one particular Thai restaurant back home. I could handle the high part, but don't want a repeat of the instant migraine I got when eating a lemongrass dish at one place in particular. I'm saving the recipe just in case I ever have the ingredients and the nerve all at the same time. Jasmine rice is something I often have on hand, and I like to serve any Asian dish with jasmine tea.

There's this little place in the local mall, Thai Express. I imagine some of you have heard of the place. I was surprised a little fast food joint in a mall could make decent Thai food. I generally get the Chicken Pad Thai (I know, not very adventurous), it's just such a good dish and I'm the type of person who once I've had a really good dish I can't seem to get anything else because I know this one is great. I've had Beef Pad Sew (I think that's how you spell it) which is delicious as well. I have yet to try the curry but will hopefully remedy that very soon.

Back
Top Bottom