Thai recipes?

asaaaron

Veteran
Local time
11:57 PM
Any good Thai recipes (that are fairly cheap and easy)? I'm a vegetarian, so vegetarian recipes are preferred, but I can adapt them. Another issue with me and Thai food is that a lot of it includes peanut butter, but I'm allergic to that. Recipes without peanut butter are preferred as well, but I can adapt. Any ideas?

OK - not Thai but Malasian but it is vegan... for financial reasons, I substitute the shallots for onions, pak choi with spring greens or spinach and the vermicelli with noodles. In theory it serves 4 people, but I think it could easily be used to serve 6, so you may need to reduce the recipe to fit your needs.

Laksa Lemak
Spice mix
thumb sized piece of ginger peeled & chopped
4 gloves of garlic roughly chopped
2 red chillies deseeded and roughly chopped (use 1 if they are hot)
1 stalk of lemongrass chopped

Make up the spice paste - suggest a coffee grinder or small food processor for this adding enough oil to get a nice smooth blended paste.

Main ingredients
1tbsp sunflower oil
2 large shallots finely chopped
1 red pepper sliced thinly
1 440ml tin of coconut milk
750 ml boiling water
3 lime leaves
2 pay choi (or 250g spinach or spring greens) thinly sliced
2 tbsp. tamari (variety of soy source)
2 tsp sugar
1 lime juiced (sometimes needs 2 if they are really small)
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
plain tofu (packet of)
beansprouts
4 spring onions sliced thinly (garnish so can be left off)
1 red chili, finely sliced
fresh coriander chopped
200g rice vermicelli (or use noodles which we prefer this recipe with)

heat a heavy bottomed large pan and add the oil, then fry the shallots/onions until golden. Add the spice mix, the turmeric & salt and fry until fragrant but don't' allow the spices to burn. Add the red pepper, stir-fry for a few mins and then add the coconut milk, water and lime leaves and bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins. Now add the pak choi (or spinach/spring greens), tamari and sugar and simmer for a few mins before adding the lime juice and seasoning to taste.

You can fry the tofu (cut into thin sticks if you want - we do but do this before starting the above) or just add the tofu.

Cook the rice vermicelli or noodles and then assemble in deep bowls. Vermicelli/noodles, a handful of beansprouts, some tofu, the hot soup and garnish with coriander, spring onions and the sliced red chili. Serve immediately.

Back
Top Bottom