Thai red curry paste

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:58 PM
I've made this a few times and it's popular. I dug out as many red chillies as we had here, a few green as well. I've never used shrimp paste before but found some in a new Asian store last week. It says to cook it off as it smells, it does smell but after cooking it, it disappears. Ground the chillies galangal lemon grass garlic ginger shallots and coriander roots. Kafir lime leaves added, ground up then cooked in a pan for 5 mins. I added evoo and small amount of sugar. Smells Devine! I got enough for about 3 meals and it keeps for 4 weeks.

Yorky is this how you make yours? morning glory and you mg?

Russ

Pic of the not quite red paste. I'm happy with it.

Russ

I don't make it myself but my wife does occasionally. Otherwise we buy it premade (there's plenty about).

056[1].jpg

I've never used shrimp paste before but found some in a new Asian store last week. It says to cook it off as it smells, it does smell but after cooking it, it disappears.

I originally used shrimp paste for sambal but ceased, not only because of the smell but the taste also.

Recipe - Sambal Udang

To back up Yorkie, on my trips to Thailand, people buy the paste ready made. For us in the west, do the same. Find a quality paste you like, your own will never be consistant, it will cost much more, and life's too short.

Making your own fresh coconut milk over a tin is where the big win is.

To back up Yorkie, on my trips to Thailand, people buy the paste ready made. For us in the west, do the same. Find a quality paste you like, your own will never be consistant, it will cost much more, and life's too short.

In addition to buying it locally, my wife's mother posts some packs of the North Western variety on occasions.

The strange thing about the paste is that although my wife will put a pack in the freezer, it doesn't freeze, i.e. is doesn't go hard.

Making your own fresh coconut milk over a tin is where the big win is.

I buy tinned coconut milk and cream. I can't be arsed straining etc!

Russ

Have made red, yellow and Massaman curry pastes. There are several others I want to try, especially jungle curry paste.

Have made red, yellow and Massaman curry pastes. There are several others I want to try, especially jungle curry paste.

Jungle curry? An Indian program I watched had a jungle curry, originally from tiger meat. But not now, they use lamb.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom