Thai Style Coconut Chili Chicken Skewers
- 600 g chicken thighs (boneless)
- 3 mild or sweet chilies
- 2 hot dried chilies
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ginger
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- ½ cup of water
- Juice of a lime and 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1 tsp salt
- Green onions for garnish (optional)
- Roast the cumin, coriander seeds and deseeded dried chilies for 1 minute.
- Transfer to the mortar and pestle and pound into powder.
- Finely chop the shallots, garlic and mild chilies,
- Transfer into the mortar and pestle with a pinch of salt and grated ginger.
- Pound into a smooth paste.
- In a pan on medium heat, add the coconut oil, the paste and fry for few minutes.
- Add the brown sugar, fish sauce, lime zest, lime juice and the coconut cream.
- Turn off the stove and let it cool down and set aside in the fridge.
- Cut the chicken thighs into thin pieces.
- Using half of the chili paste, dip the chicken into marinade, cover and let it rest for at least 2 hours.
- Thread the marinated chicken pieces on the skewers. For wooden skewers, soak them in water.
- Grill the skewers for about 5 mins per side until nicely charred.
- Warm up the rest of the marinade.
- Rotate the skewers often to evenly grill and brush with extra marinade.