Thawing frozen vegetables

Amateur1

Local time
7:58 AM
I have some frozen vegetables (edamame beans, peas, sliced carrot) which I usually heat in the microwave for 30 seconds.
On the jewish sabbath we can't use electricity.
Could I eat these vegetables if I took them out of the freezer on Friday afternoon and let them thaw?
If so, should I let them thaw in the fridge or at room temperature?

I live on my own, so if I buy fresh vegetables they would probably go to waste.

I have some frozen vegetables (edamame beans, peas, sliced carrot) which I usually heat in the microwave for 30 seconds.
On the jewish sabbath we can't use electricity.
Could I eat these vegetables if I took them out of the freezer on Friday afternoon and let them thaw?
If so, should I let them thaw in the fridge or at room temperature?

I live on my own, so if I buy fresh vegetables they would probably go to waste.

Isn't your fridge electric? :scratchhead:

I would thaw them in the fridge, not out in the open.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't your fridge electric? :scratchhead:

I've learned that Jewish laws about this matter are very complex. In this case its to do with when the electricity was turned on (I think). So its OK for a fridge to be running if it was switched on before the Sabbath. Correct me if I'm wrong Amateur1!

Ok, I´m totally ignorant about cooking on the Sabbath, so what about you take your veg out of the fridge on Friday, cook them as you usually do, return them to the fridge then thaw them outside on Saturday? Would that work?

The Jewish Sabbath (jews call it Shabbat or Shabbos) lasts from Friday evening for 25 hours. During that time, I cannot use electricity.
I've put a piece of sellotape over my fridge light to stop it coming on when I open the fridge on Shabbat.
Some people are stricter and are worried about other things too. If you're interested, discuss this with your local orthodox rabbi. I have a feeling it's a bit extreme, but am not a rabbi myself. Are my fridge and freezer Shabbos compliant? – The Federation of Synagogues
Here is a more general guide to cooking on Shabbat.
Shabbos Kitchen: Hilkhot Shabat Ba-Mitbah : A Comprehensive Guide to the Preparation of Food and Other Kitchen Activities on Shabbos or Yom Tov (Artscroll Halachah Series): Amazon.co.uk: Cohen, Simcha Bunim, Coheh, S.: 9780899068824: Books

No one says you cannot have a fridge working over Shabbat. The only debate is about using it on Shabbat.

If I put frozen vegetables in the fridge overnight, are they safe and nutritious to eat the following morning?

Back
Top Bottom