The best way to eat Broccoli

ReadmeByAmy

Veteran
Local time
8:39 AM
Sometimes I am confused with all the things that I had read and opinions from other people with regards what is the best way to eat broccoli. Some say it is better to eat them raw and some it should be cook first before you eat it. What are the advantages or disadvantages if you will it raw or already cooked? Can anyone gives any additional information with regards to this matter.

I found an interesting article called "Which broccoli is better: Raw or Cooked?"
The article suggests that eating broccoli raw is better. The reason behind eating it raw is because they say it is more nutritous that way.
To summarize the article, it says broccoli has sulforaphane which is "a compound thought to thwart cancer by helping to stimulate the body’s detoxifying enzymes." It goes on to say that when you cook broccoli, the sulforaphane does not get released into your body. Therefore, it is better to eat broccoli raw.
Here is a link to the article: http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition...mation/which_broccoli_is_better_raw_or_cooked
Personally, I like to eat broccoli both cooked and raw. When I cook it, I like to add cheese to give it flavor. When I am eating it raw, I like to dip it in vegetable dip or ranch dressing.

Broccoli is healthier to eat raw. As for me, I enjoy eating this vegetable cooked. Here's my recipe:

Ingredients
2 cups of raw broccoli
1/4 stick of butter
Garlic Salt
Pepper

Preparation
Melt butter in a skillet. Toss in your raw broccoli. Salt and pepper your vegetables. Toss and cook your raw broccoli for 5 to 7 minutes. Then, plate.

yo95l5y_SO-vEB_qmvC2Z4mv7AjueNozIGxmy8AUK8PqvTRTyviWkRcbRkq09aVEKmLh9IslWne0sa4fwoRal0o%3Ds230-c.jpg

I eat cooked broccoli. I don't care if raw is healthier, I can't chew it and swallow! It's too overwhelming for me. I personally love to slightly cook it where it's still crunchy, but not hard. I usually do it with some butter, or when I'm feeling a bit fat I'll make a white cheese sauce to put over it. I also love to mix broccoli and cauliflower! I think they complement each other nicely.

The way I see it, if I don't fully cook the broccoli, I get the best of both worlds. I also buy it frozen as I feel that is the best way to get the most nutrients.

When I go to parties they sometimes serve raw veggies and dip, that's one way that I like eating broccoli, but the best way is cooked. Steaming the broccoli with some salt and pepper to taste (maybe some carrots), is the best way for me. I also enjoy creamy broccoli soup, it tastes divine! Now that I think about it, broccoli is my favourite vegetable and I guess I really don't mind how it's cooked, as long as it tastes great.

I'm not much of a fan of raw broccoli personally. If I am eating it raw, it's usually only if it's being dipped in some sort of high fat dressing such as Blue Cheese - which kind of defeats the purpose. Steaming is one of the healthiest ways to cook it without really losing too much in terms of nutrients. One of my favorite ways to eat it steamed is with some sea salt, cracked black pepper, lemon zest and a light drizzle of olive oil.

Gordon Ramsay also had a really interesting recipe for broccoli soup that uses very few ingredients, and incorporates the water the broccoli was cooked in, so you are getting all of those leeched nutrients back into the meal. Basically all he did was boil some broccoli in a limited amount of water (seasoned well). Then he transferred the cooked broccoli to a blender to puree it, reserving the cooking liquid in the pan. He added the pureed broccoli back to the liquid and seasoned it with salt and pepper to taste. To plate, he put a pieces of Goat Cheese in the center of the plate, then ladled the soup over it. The cheese melts into the soup and completes the dish. It's vegetarian and only like two ingredients - can't get much simpler than that. The video of him making it is on Youtube.

I imagine eating it raw is probably more nutritious, but I doubt it would be by a lot, especially when compared to steamed broccoli. I'm guessing that the worry is from having all the nutrients just washed away when you boil the vegetable, but I think if you steam it then you get to keep a good amount of the nutrients intact and you still end up with a somewhat enjoyable product.

I enjoy eating raw vegetables and I find the stalks of broccoli particularly good to eat. Slices of broccoli stalk can also be stirfried in a light oil.

The best way to cook broccoli it to steam it. If you boil it you can save the water and use it when making sauce or soup. It is best to use as little water as possible when cooking broccoli and only let is boil for a short time, so the vegetable stays firm.

Most vegetables are going to be better for you raw. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but more often than not, raw is the way to go.

More importantly, though, is that you find a way you WANT to eat it. If you prefer yours to be cooked, then by all means, steam it as a middle ground compromise. You have to be able to enjoy the dish or you're not going to eat it often enough and chances are, you're not going to be benefiting as much from it anyway.

It is interesting to read this link as it is in opposition to other articles that I have seen:

http://blog.fooducate.com/2013/05/06/broccoli-showdown-raw-vs-cooked/

I think the key here is that if we focus on one particular compound, we will get a definitive answer but if we look at the vegetable as a whole, there is no right answer. One think that seems to be consistent in most of the articles I have seen is that steaming the broccoli lightly is the best way to process it. Cooking anything to death will break down molecules and boiling drains away nutrients with the water.

My daughter and I eat our broccoli raw and dipped in ranch. We prefer it this way over any other way. I do like it cooked sometimes just not as much as raw.

I love eating broccoli both cooked as well as raw. Generally I do a quick steam with it when I cook it, I avoid using it mixed with other veggies because I love the taste so much.

I can eat raw broccoli with ranch dressing, but it's not something I do often. My preferred method of eating it is to steam it first.

Back
Top Bottom