The CookingBites Cookalong: Chinese Dumplings

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
11:48 AM
Have you ever made a Chinese Dumplings? If not, then now is your chance to try! If you have cooked them successfully before, you can share your wisdom and cook along too. The idea of the Cookalong is that members cook a classic recipe within a certain timescale and share their experience. Its a bit of fun and a chance to learn. Please join in!

Dim-Sum-.jpg

Chinese Dumplings can be made sweet or savoury and can be vegan too. For the purposes of this Cookalong we are talking about any Chinese style filled dumplings, such as Dim Sum dumplings or Wantons. You can steam them, simmer or fry them, make your own wrapping or use shop bought.

And don’t forget the dipping sauce served with them or the broth if they are to be served in soup.

There is an interesting article here which compares various Chefs' recipes and includes a final tested recipe. There has also been quite a lot of discussion about Chinese dumplings here and recently, @medtran49 posted a thread about Dim Sum which contains members' photos.

Please add your comments, photos, experiences to this thread. Deadline extended to midnight 28th February.

Last edited:
This is very exciting and if the forecast snow arrives this weekend I can spend Sunday playing with dough!

I had dim sum yesterday for lunch in China Town, London, but unfortunately it was average. I hope to make better! I've seen a lot of naturally gluten free recipes and some that can be adapted.

I'l try and think of something creative but I'm craving prawn dumplings so that is a good place to start I think.

2018-01-20 10.24.04.jpg
Some hints.

One of the things I have found extremely helpful in making dumplings is a scoop like the above. It helps you get even portions and makes filling them faster. The scoop holds about a tablespoon.

I have found that doing them assembly line fasion is the easiest whether you or making your own dough or using premade wrappers. I usually do about 20 at a time since that's what fits on my cutting mat, but until you pick up speed when folding, especially if using homemade dough, you might want to do less because you don't want the dough to dry out. Keep the homemade dough and the premade wrappers covered with something like plastic wrap or just a very slightly dampened paper towel when you are not actually working with them.

I just use a small bowl of water and my fingertip to dampen the edges of the dough when sealing, but some might want to use a clean, unused, small paintbrush.

Start with learning the easier folds. The more folds there are, the more complicated and finger twisting/frustrating it can be. Trust me on this. The round open soup dumpling folding looks easy, it's not, with 20 something folds in the traditional manner.

This is kind of obvious, but use different folds for different fillings so you can tell them apart.

I found a you tube site that shows several different folding techniques really well if anybody is interested. She makes them really slow and there is a clear view of what her fingers are doing at all times. https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=37s&v=y4dawejj_y.

If you are making pot stickers, after browning the bottoms, when you are getting ready to pour in the liquid to steam them, be ready to get the pan lid on the instant you are done pouring the liquid in. Even with the little amount of oil used to brown them, the spatter is bad.

Last, but certainly not least, make more than you think you'll want. They make great leftovers for lunch, if there are any left...

Last edited:
The round open soup dumpling folding looks easy, it's not, with 20 something folds in the traditional manner.
:eek:

I found a you tube site that shows several different folding techniques really well if anybody is interested. She makes them really slow and there is a clear view of what her fingers are doing at all times. https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=37s&v=y4dawejj_yY

Thanks for the link. I can see I have my homework sorted out for the next few weeks!

So I am thinking about 3 fillings - shrimp, crawfish and Mushroom and leek. Maybe a lobster/seafood sauce for the seafood dumplings. Perhaps a red wine, mushroom reduction for the mushroom leek preparation.
:hyper: will use prepared wrappers.

Ambitious. I am doing one filling at a time! And I've not yet decided on the first one.

IMG_1114.JPG

Funny, but I've never made my own dough before when I've made dim sum. But, @medtran49's post made me realize how easy it was. So, I decided to mix in paprika and homemade Chinese five spice.

I've made different colored pasta before, so I expect it will look nice once it's finally done. Now, I've got to get my fillings settled.

Back
Top Bottom