The CookingBites Cookalong: Deep Fried Eggs

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
12:19 PM
Have you ever made a Scotch egg or any kind of deep fried egg? If not, then now is your chance to try! If you have cooked them successfully before, you can share your wisdom and cook along too.

I've been quietly waiting and watching for a new Cookalong challenge to emerge naturally from members' posts. I had confidence something would - and sure enough two separate threads (Do you make Scotch Eggs? and Deep fried eggs?) and a number of other posts conspired to make 'deep fried eggs' a perfect topic.

The idea of the Cookalong is that members cook a classic recipe and/or practice a technical cooking challenge within a certain timescale and share their experience. This is very much a technical challenge and there are plenty of ways you can approach this: classic Scotch eggs or perhaps soft boiled Scotch eggs, deep fried poached eggs, deep fried eggs in batter, etc.

Its a bit of fun and a chance to learn and experiment. Please join in!

A few links:
How to cook the perfect scotch egg | Life and style | The Guardian
How to make the perfect vegetarian scotch eggs | Life ... - The Guardian
Stuffed Eggs by @Yorky

New deadline midday May 12th (GMT +1)

Last edited:
Ok,here's my scotch egg except you can't see a bit of relish between meat and the egg.

Russ

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok,here's my scotch egg except you can't see a bit of relish between meat and the egg.
These look delicious! Now, does this mean that you spread relish on the sausage before wrapping it around the egg? If so, that sounds like something I'm going to try sometime. I normally just wrap up the egg in the sausage and leave it at that, but I like the possibility of adding something else to the inside.

These look delicious! Now, does this mean that you spread relish on the sausage before wrapping it around the egg? If so, that sounds like something I'm going to try sometime. I normally just wrap up the egg in the sausage and leave it at that, but I like the possibility of adding something else to the inside.

That's exactly what I do, it's my twist on it. Just a thin layer, enough to give the taste.

Russ

I'm really quite taken aback by this. I thought that poached deep-fried eggs would be good but I wasn't prepared for quite how good. Its not my cooking I'm complimenting here - there is something really magical about a deep fried egg with a runny yolk in a crispy coating.

I panéed the poached egg in flour mixed with semolina, beaten egg and then crispy breadcrumbs, then deep fried. Like @Herbie I would rather the yolk was softer - but it did run. I'm thinking to do just the egg yolk (no pre poaching) to see what happens.

fullsizeoutput_2fec.jpeg

Last edited:
Deep fried egg in spicy batter with dill potato cake.

I based this on @Herbie's Egg Pakoras. I need to do more work on getting the batter lighter. One of the problems is that if you make a light frothy batter it slips off the eggs before you can get them in the oil. I'm not sure how to solve that. I ended up making a really thick batter - even then its tricky getting the egg into the oil without losing batter. Has anyone got any tips?

I rather liked the way the batter formed a peak although it was by accident rather than design. The batter was made from gram flour, water, garam masala and chilli powder. It tasted good but wasn't as crisp as I'd have liked. The potato cake is simply seasoned mash potato with chopped dill coated in gram flour then shallow fried.

This is one occasion when I've used a patterned plate in a food photo. Plate from Tiger - just £2!

fullsizeoutput_3087.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_3088.jpeg

Last edited:
Try flouring the egg before you dip in batter. I used gf flour (of course) then a thin gram flour batter.

I should have done that. I'm going to try again tomorrow so we will see! Although, you used poached eggs which I imagine might hold the batter better as they are not smooth spheres like boiled eggs (which is what I used).

Back
Top Bottom