The CookingBites recipe challenge: brown sugar

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:55 PM
Welcome to the CookingBites recipe challenge. The current challenge ingredient is brown sugar and medtran49 is our judge. To enter, all you need to do is post a recipe* which uses brown sugar **, tag it cookingbites recipe challenge and post a link to it in this thread. The winner becomes the judge for the next challenge. You may post up to 6 entries. Deadline: midnight (close of day) Monday 17th April UK time (GMT). Detailed challenge rules can be found here.

* recipes must be posted within the time frame of the challenge but could be recipes you have made in the past, so long as they haven't already been posted on the forum as a recipe thread.

** There are brown sugars of various names worldwide. As long as the colour of the sugar is golden brown to dark brown it is eligible.

Last edited:
haole-brownies-002.jpg

Haole Brownies

I had made mention of these bar cookies a bit ago:What are you baking today (2023)?

I just love them!

You can make your own brown sugar from granulated white by mixing 1 cup granulated sugar with 1 Tbsp molasses for light brown or 2 Tbsp molasses for dark brown. It's probably best to mix with your fingers.

There are brown sugars of various names worldwide. As long as the color of the sugar is golden brown to dark brown, you are good.

Obviously, brown sugar can be used in sweets, but there are lots and lots of recipes using beef, poultry, seafood, vegan/vegetarian options. In fact, I found an Asian recipe using ground beef while browsing that I intend to try very soon.

Last edited:
Obviously, brown sugar can be used in sweets, but there are lots and lots of recipes using beef, poultry, seafood, vegan/vegetarian options. In fact, I found an Asian recipe using ground beef while browsing that I intend to try very soon.

Brown sugar is used in BBQ rubs, particularly for pork. I often use it in my rib rubs.

CD

Back
Top Bottom